This firm gave $10 million in holiday bonus cash to 198 employees

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/11/this-firm-gave-10-million-in.html

8 Likes

Saw a clip about this in my feed yesterday; good for them.

18 Likes

19 Likes

That seems way better than a membership in a jelly-of-the-month club.

14 Likes

6 Likes

This has something to do with cemeteries doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Sounds like the company I used to work for, although they had a slightly different split. $9.99 million to the CEO, $20 Starbucks cards to everyone else.

40 Likes

I think that is more the norm.

11 Likes

I took my company Xmas gift of $50.00 gift certificate to Home Depot and ran.
BTW: I found out that Home Depot doesn’t carry any alcohol, after much debate…

23 Likes

I dunno. If you work for a company that gives you 50K or more at the end of the year, ya gotta kinda wonder what business you’re really into. If it were me, I’d start by reckoning up the number of shell corporations I’d heard about over the past year. OTOH, maybe I’ve just been outta the private sector too long.

3 Likes

Is that regional? Ours has this:

9 Likes

“I heard you could get hammered in here!”
“No, sir, again, we sell hammers.”

16 Likes

I wonder how large the bonuses were to the people who maintain and clean these properties. If they existed at all, I’d be very surprised if a lot of those jobs aren’t outsourced to another company.

3 Likes

It does when I’m there.

4 Likes

Ingestion Acute Exposure Effects:
Poison. Cannot be made non-poisonous. May be fatal or cause blindness. May produce fluid in the lungs and pulmonary edema. May cause dizziness, headache, nausea, drowsiness, loss of coordination, stupor, reddening of face and or neck, liver, kidney and heart damage, coma, and death. May produce symptoms listed under inhalation.

Hazardous Components (Chemical Name)
Ethyl alcohol {Ethanol} 30.0 -60.0 %
Methanol {Methyl alcohol; Carbinol; Wood alcohol} 30.0 -60.0 %
Methyl isobutyl ketone {Hexone; Isopropylacetone; MIBK; 4-Methyl-2-pentanone} 0.1-1.0 %
Additional Chemical Information Specific percentage of composition is being withheld as a trade secret.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GSL26_SDS-1625.6.pdf

2 Likes

5 Likes

Maybe these bonuses are unusual in size for this company or this industry, but in tech and finance in high cost of living areas annual bonuses on this scale are status quo.

2 Likes

I guess they aren’t one of those developers that “develop” low income areas into something low income people cannot afford anymore, otherwise they wouldn’t be put up as a positive example here right?
With real estate that kind of profit wasn’t created out of thin air and will in one way or another have been “subsidised” by the public.

5 Likes

@Papasan didn’t say he wanted to drink it.

(I use denatured alcohol to mix up shellac, but occasionally I think about using Everclear instead, since it seems wrong to add something so poisonous to the shellac, which is edible.)

8 Likes

This was on top of the bonuses that might have been part of someone’s annual compensation.

1 Like