This free app is a compass that points to the center of the galaxy

We’re twenty-thousand light years from galactic central point…
We go 'round every two hundred million years!

4 Likes

… in the Northern Hemisphere we’re supposed to be able to see the Andromeda Galaxy

but it’s very dim

Any galaxy is almost entirely empty space :milky_way:

1 Like

Others say it’s Sprockhövel.

1 Like

NASA’s JPL mission control center in Pasadena has an official marker designating the exact center of the universe.

A little display of ego on the part of the mission control managers that get to stand on it? Certainly. But as far as all the space probes are concerned, it ultimately is where they need to send all their data so it might as well be their central reference point.

4 Likes

Came to ensure it would appear - left satisfied.

(I’m probably having this played at my funeral, if I have any say over it.)

2 Likes

Downloaded the app, and re the image you posted - the app says ‘device should be flat’ when phone lifted to be more than 45 degrees from horizontal, and arrow goes grey. Not sure why the image has a green arrow there and doesn’t have the message showing on that screen.

2 Likes

My favorite bit of random trivia about this song is that it is so accurate that the Smithsonian Air and Space museum uses it in an exhibit.

7 Likes

That sounds disappointing.

No. It’s fine, honestly.

Matt - who made the app - said the image on his blog pre-dated the final version as he was ultimately unable to resolve all the 3D calculations needed.

1 Like

So the cat isn’t the center of the galaxy?

Oh, right, it just thinks it is.

2 Likes

And that it is so accurate because Eric Idle revised it a couple of times over the years.
Now that’s being serious about comedy.

4 Likes

Hawking is my favorite hard core rapper!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.