This free app is a compass that points to the center of the galaxy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/15/iphone-app-that-finds-the-milky-ways-heart.html

3 Likes

Funny, you’ve found the center of the freak’n universe but a recording eludes you?

Priorities Mark.

4 Likes

In case someone in your party gets lost, the center of the galaxy is a good place to meet up.

16 Likes

Beware of the energy barrier

6 Likes

“the center of the galaxy is directly behind me“

So humble. I’d just assume the arrow was pointing at me.

13 Likes

how can a 2D representation of NSEW 360 degree flat representation tell me - on my phone screen - that the actual center of the galaxy is directly above or below me at any given time in the rotation of earth - earth around the sun, solar system (albeit, slowly) around the (center of) galaxy?
edit to add “center of”

5 Likes

I believe you’re thinking of the Center of the Known Universe app, which would be concerning if it existed because then everyone would always know where to find you.

3 Likes

Magnetic South

5 Likes

I have no idea if Ali ever actually said that but I love it.

4 Likes

[linky]

Since the early 1970s some Fremont residents have been referring to their neighborhood as “The Center of the Universe” (which also appears on a large “Welcome” sign). An unofficial motto “De Libertas Quirkas” (“Freedom to be Peculiar” in mock Latin) appears in brochures and websites about the area.

4 Likes

Another original Trek episode has Scotty rhetorically gesture towards Earth, only for Spock to point in the correct direction.

6 Likes

Ironically not available to install on a Galaxy.

10 Likes

Just don’t get too close to Sagittarius A*

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the problem with places with a big draw, they get all touristy.

1 Like

Nobody goes there any more, it’s too crowded

4 Likes

Someone should now create a center of the universe compass app that always points to Fremont

3 Likes

Like Jack Sparrow’s compass, only lamer.

2 Likes

Comparing the pic in the article with the pic at the link makes that clearer.

From where I live in the southern hemisphere, you can point to the centre of the galaxy by pointing straight up on a clear night in August. But it’s not super-impressive - there’s a lot of dust between us and the galaxy centre. But! either side of that dust cloud is pretty freakin’ amazing.

I love going to places with dark skies.

10 Likes

Or identical, if what you want most of all is to be in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle

2 Likes

Yeah, that place sucks big-time.

4 Likes