This fun free app tracks the states you've visited

Originally published at: This fun free app tracks the states you've visited | Boing Boing

2 Likes

been app is fun too, it’s global. I need one for my galactic travels too.

6 Likes

And then after everything is marked, casually ask if they’re a serial killer, human trafficker or Bigfoot.

2 Likes

It probably helps your count if you’re well traveled and not originally from one of the coasts. I’ve got 41, largely because family vacation destinations from Missouri covered most of the middle. And being transient in my early adult life means I’ve actually lived in 7 (though Kentucky/Tennessee should count as one since I lived on the border).

1 Like

For people who don’t own an iPhone, and also prefer not to download stupid small apps to their android phones:

https://visitedstatesmap.com/

5 Likes

If you want to be super obsessive, you can track the counties you’ve visited on www.mob-rule.com. It’s not the easiest UI and you have to pick the counties by hand, but it’s a fun way to see one’s footprint.

The grey counties are ones I’ve been through, the color coded ones are ones I’ve gotten geocaches in.

9 Likes

Then there’s those of us who worked as a roadie in music shows, who’ve been to every state and many countries. Every state and every country looked the same: like the dank stinky backstage concrete bowels of a stadium.

4 Likes

Okay now I’m curious who you toured with. I always wondered what that would be like. “Hard work” is the phrase that comes to mind. I had a buddy that was a roadie for David Copperfield. On multiple occasions I would ask him to spill the beans about how certain tricks were performed. To his credit, he never divulged the secrets regardless of how much we had been drinking.

4 Likes

I can only say I’ve proudly eaten pho soup in 11 states + D.C. + Ontario

2 Likes

If you spill his secrets, he makes you disappear

4 Likes

Most roadies don’t kiss-n-tell, mainly because we simply don’t remember much of that through the brain fog that is touring.

A roadie day went something like this:
10AM arrive at stadium and unload truck.
11AM set up lighting and sound, eat a granola bar for breakfast.
3PM stage is ready for sound check, catch 2 hours nap in sleeper.
5PM talent actually arrives for sound check
8PM show starts
1AM show ends
1:05AM pack up truck
3AM drive to next gig
10AM process repeats ad infinitum at next stadium

4 Likes

Can confirm. It helps to be from the middle of what is lovingly called flyover country, and then not coming from money, so family vacations were literally loading up the Family Truckster and driving around the country.

My childhood family vacations closely mirrored National Lampoon’s Vacation, a movie I struggle to watch to this day.

1 Like

Read the headline, “tracks the states you’ve visited,” and thought, “putting the ‘state’ in ‘surveillance state.” :joy:
Seriously, though, I just use a marker and a paper map. I’ve hit all 50 and the 5 island territories. Boo yah!

5 Likes

Who knew Bigfoot was such a good swimmer?

2 Likes

Am I Bigfoot???

2 Likes

Good old Jackson Browne.
He’s a nice person in person.
Through the fog, I remember doing sound for him and Bonnie Raitt in the late 70s at a show in South Dakota.
She’s a nice person in person also.
I can’t say that about all the talent though.

4 Likes

Are you the inspiration for the song?

I get that impression, although I’ve never met her.

The talent we remember strongly and fondly are those who were nice people in person… especially the talent who arrived ahead of time for sound check and took their doobie break with us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Title has strongly implied missing hyphen.

8 Likes