This gadget makes it easy to block a surveillance camera

Just so people know, IP surveillance camera systems / VMS (video management systems) are more sophisticated than using the little tricks from movies that may have worked even five or ten years ago. A well-designed system (which, so far, admittedly few of them are) will use a tamper-alarm with pre-buffered and tagged video. The camera effectively “remembers” its field of view and if it significantly changes (e.g., spray painting or fogging the lens), the camera will send an alarm to the VMS. Well-designed systema will specifically tag that video and display it as an alarm and even show what happened in the X seconds before the spray came on. Even better systems will have redundant cameras that can cover other camera positions as well, and so they’ll be clear video of who just sprayed the other camera. Best systems may even have redundant pan-tilt-zoom cameras that will zoom in on the area of the camera reporting a tamper alarm.

All of this will actually make it more likely someone actually sees or identifies you on video, and do it much more quickly.

(Again, a small percentage of systems are designed by people that actually really give a shit, so these technologies aren’t widely implemented. But it’s not because the technology isn’t there - it’s available on pretty much IP-based system these days. Mostly it’s lack of initiative / laziness / disinterest on the part of the people that actually put the systems together.)

1 Like

It’s amusing how most comments are about civ lib pro con, buying stuff from Amazon (with affiliate links), generating 3d stuff (for the tiny minority with 3d printers), etc.

My basic conclusion is that (most of) you people aren’t coming to my revolution - I question if you could figure out how to survive given a box of random stuff and a problem to solve. Sorry, no access to Amazon overnight or 3D printers!

you’re on the wrong forum then.

1 Like

Which is why you want the DIY version as at least it lets you stand under the camera to spray it :slight_smile:

Oh I don’t think so. I’m actually operating as a happy mutant, not a cynical mutant.

Your use of the term “you people” would suggest otherwise.

Yep, you are on the wrong revolution. We’re on the revolution with spaceships, lasers, and robots. The survive in nature revolution meets in the room across the hall (our pet name for them is ‘fuel’).

2 Likes

people use shit like this all the time to mark sewers for pesticides

Why on earth would anyone want too block out a CCTV camera if only too break the law or create/engage dissident behaviour.

You would think that surveillance cameras catch bad guys all the time, but that may not be the case. Reason: If they worked, their supporters would provide lots of newspaper stories about every case in which they were used successfully. We don’t seem to see many such stories.

Yes… that might be the point.

1 Like

This gadget also makes it easy to block a surveillance camera:

1 Like

I would assume the number is small based on what we see in the media,
but what if the media only covers a few of the positive cases out of
hundreds of successful ones.

Obviously you’ve never watched Cops or a John Bunnell show. If anything, they assiduously avoid showing the ones that got away.

There’s no reason to think it’s part of every little town’s agenda to
report a positive case to the media.

In some places the head of law enforcement is an elected position. In others it is a position appointed by politicians. In either case there is every reason to think they’d be trumpeting as loud as they could about LOOK AT WHAT A GOOD JOB WE’RE DOING.

1 Like

Idea: spraypaint mounted on an RC quadcopter.

1 Like

It’s been done

Yeah, that does not sound like something in the local council budget, we’ve got to buy six more SUVs (in white, always in white) to wander around and do nothing in.

Make sure to be very specific if you’re ordering from the Gygax store of Pointy Things On Sticks.

I’ve been an enthusiastic consumer of spraypaint of various brands, and I just cannot see some string and sticks pressing down on a cap without a major struggle that will send the cone-of-spray in a big wibbly-wobbly mess. Most of the time I have to hold the things down with my thumb (and apply a bit of wd40/silicon lube spray to the stem) to keep it consistent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.