This gamification 'documentary' is a work of art

[Read the post]

1 Like

Troll / Parody / Sensory overload / Social commentary / Poe’s Law / Mash-up / Supercut

OMG, I can’t tell the difference any more!

“I had to keep on acting deaf if i wanted to hear at all.”
― Ken Kesey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

5 Likes

I wasn’t awarded the badge for viewing this video.

6 Likes

But you got 1 Like for posting here, and you watched the video first. See, you’re starting to accept doing more work for fewer imaginary rewards! Reward deflation is working!

2 Likes

Ah, but how do you know I’m not lying about watching the video, and only gaming the system for Likes?

1 Like

That was really good, thanks for posting it.
gamification is wu-wei in the most scary way possible. The old way was trying to change what we want, which would involve persuasion or overt noticeable force. The new way is to design the environment (game) such that when we pursue what we want - regardless of what it is - the designer’s desired outcome is achieved.

It is a level of control dictators could only dream of. Even better, it’s achieved by allowing every player to play freely however they like…as long as they keep playing.

1 Like

The video is also a bit how I am guessing Daniel Kahneman’s ideal world must be. A very select few geniuses sets up the systems and algorithms for the rest of us follow. The rest of us will spend our lives supplying the data then live according to the directions given by the formulas. We will just have to accept that due to our various ingrained biases and general lack of oversight, the best way forward will be to rid ourselves of any misconception that we are truly in charge of, or able to influence, our destiny.

I’m not saying Kahneman isn’t smart, it’s just that the recommendations he puts forward at the end of each chapter in Fast/Slow are fucking bleak.

2 Likes

My game “You do all the work and I keep all the money,” hasn’t gotten off the ground quite yet but once I crack the whole exploitation aspect I’m sure it’s gonna take right off.

1 Like

Games teach persistence and lessen anxiety, and they’re fun as hell. That’s a good thing. That sort of thinking is worthwhile to apply to other pursuits. Trying to find or force 1:1 parallels all over the place is excruciating, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.