This guy built a set-up so his rat could play Doom

Originally published at: This guy built a set-up so his rat could play Doom | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Do not, repeat not, train the rat to fire the gun.

17 Likes

What could possibly go wrong!

10 Likes

Needs at least a fleeting mention of Project Pigeon

The intent was to train pigeons to act as “pilots” for the device[bomb], using their cognitive abilities to recognize the target. The guidance system consisted of three lenses mounted in the nose of the vehicle, which projected an image of the target on a screen mounted in a small compartment inside the nose cone. This screen was mounted on pivots and fitted with sensors that measured any angular movement.

5 Likes

Needs Moar micro chainsaw

4 Likes

The video was not good evidence to support the claim. Rat was preoccupied with whatever was at the end of that tube and was not even looking at screen for several of the movements.

7 Likes

Can it do Excel spreadsheets?

2 Likes

in ww2 Americans trained chickens to operate machine guns in bombers. they were good but generals were offended so they weren’t used. rats & chickens could be trained to provide real time decisions on mars or other planets. much less life support. and we won’t feel so bad about the cost of retrieving their carcases because y’know: they’re rats.

I hope the research sticks to offline gaming only. I don’t want my barn rodents to start taking social cues from the gamer gate sorts.

3 Likes

This sounds a bit like Skinner’s research. He trained pigeons to peck at the outline of a battleship, and three pigeons were to be used to target a missile. The Navy had heard of homing pigeons, and weren’t keen.

2 Likes

Link posted above.

1 Like

Project Pigeon (later Project Orcon)

Omicron?

Rats with frickin’ flechette guns.

They could get hold of the Unmaykr from Doom Eternal, that’s what.

It’s aptly named - point it at something, and it’s as if it was never there…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.