This indoor-outdoor full HD TV antenna might just mean the end for your cable bill

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/this-indoor-outdoor-full-hd-tv.html

High speed internet and streaming services are what meant the end for my cable TV bill.

4 Likes

“Targe 80 is all digital”

Can you define this? Verify this? Exactly what is digital about this device besides the ability to receive a very analog radio-frequency signal modulated with a digital signal? At best it seems to be a simple amplified omnidirectional antenna like others on the market and even a 50-year-old “rabbit ear” antenna can receive these same signals and it certainly isn’t digital. This article reads as if somebody read the advertising material and then regurgitated it almost verbatim.

5 Likes

You may be missing the point that this “article” is in fact, in its entirety, nothing but pure advertising material!

It is not a BB “article” in any sense of the word that any BB reader would understand, as its author is Boing Boing’s Shop (= StackCommerce)

(And they can’t even get right the fact that this place is BoingBoing, not Boing Boing.)

10 Likes

“The built-in Monster CleanSignal is also a big step up for standard digital antenna, boosting your signal quality and reducing grain to offer you the clearest possible picture.”

Don’t you just hate grain in a digital picture?

Anything AV with ‘Monster’ in the name, you KNOW you’re getting ripped off.

5 Likes

Looks like it is Wireless also! NEATO

Eeeh, you can make a decent and cheap antenna with one of the instructables. All you need is some copper/metal foil tape, cardboard, a cutting knife, and maybe a soldering iron (10 bucks tops). Just make a fractal antenna which will do fine. I don’t even think it needs a transformer too.

Edit, you might need the transformer but you can probably find one of those whole RF to the spade adapters that were used for older TV sets. Spades go on each side of the antenna. Here’s the link below.

But will it go outside in the rain? And, can it core a apple?

1 Like

Before spending money, figure out if you have line-of-sight to the transmitter for the stations you want to receive.

2 Likes

Does anyone else think it looks like a Federation destroyer-class starship?

2 Likes

Hd antennas are directional. The flat part aims toward a tower near the horizon not the sky. Unless there is no actual antenna inside which seems like a Monster move.

Haven’t analog TV broadcasts all but been replaced by digital transmissions, making your rabbit ears useless?

Sounds like more antenna horseshit to me.

I’m going to try to reconnect my old-school weather vane-style antenna which has sat unused on our roof for 30+ years while recently we struggled with so called “digital” HD rabbit ears.

FYI the antenna design either receives VHF & UHF signals or it does not - there is no such thing as an HD tv digital antenna.

1 Like

No. Not at all. The signals are still coming over the air as radio-frequency signals which occupy a portion of the bands where old-school TV operated and they are purely analog same as they’ve always been. Sure, the modulation of the signals is now of a digital nature but the antenna doesn’t give a rat’s about that. If you have a decent signal strength in your area you can take a suitable piece of wire and stick in into the center of the coax input and probably get a signal from one or more stations. I can do it in my home by simply sticking an unbent paper clip into the coax connector and touching that with my finger – that was my first test procedure to see if my new TV’s over-the-air function was working.

2 Likes

Isn’t it bOing bOing? Now, where’s that damn style sheet?

You are proboingly correct.

1 Like

Forget it, Jake - it's the boingboingshop

2 Likes

Yup, this.

Also where’s the usual “You can cut the cord…” verbiage?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.