This Is Fine

… it may amuse Michigander mutants to hear that Portland, Oregon, is being compared to Detroit

4 Likes

Makes sense. People who have never been in the city, or haven’t been there in over a decade, confidently declare that the city is a shitshow, despite no knowledge of it besides Fox News. So yeah, jerkoffs will make the same kind of baseless claims for Portland as they did for Detroit.

who cares big deal GIF by Togetherness

13 Likes

From the second Portland article:

“But cities do reach tipping points, and some don’t tip back. Detroit, famously.”

To which I say: go fuck yourself writer person who has never been to Detroit, but has lots of very outdated opinions not just on Detroit, but also “low-skilled industry” (the writer’s opinion on the entire auto industry, apparently). Picking on Cleveland or Pittsburgh is equally ignorant of the last 30+ years of history.

10 Likes

Exactly. We’re getting a lot of that in Portland.

“It’s terrible!”

“Really? When were you downtown last?”

“Oh, I just heard about it.”

8 Likes

Waving ‘hi’ to both of you from Chicago.

11 Likes

4 Likes

We don’t even have to ask about the racial aspect to the situation. I am certain it’s rich white kids having to crawl under trains to get to school, right? I mean, those are the truly oppressed groups in this country! (/s)

14 Likes

Hammond Indiana in this example, so yeah no guesses needed.

10 Likes
1 Like

Between the gunfire and the train blocking crossings (@jerwin)

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

12 Likes

Looks dangerous. Why aren’t those kids armed so that they can defend themselves?

3 Likes

Did anyone confirm? Are the guns ok? They sounded scared back there. I could only kinda hear over the screaming children though. I hope those guns are safe and happy tonight! People can be so prejudiced against them and this could really make them feel sad.

/S

5 Likes

When I saw where this happened, I knew they would be just fine. The news from that area of the city highlights that they have lots of friends to keep them company. :cry:

6 Likes

They were! According to the ammosexuals, baseball bats can be used to kill people, therefore they are exactly as dangerous as AR15s. /s

11 Likes
10 Likes

On a more serious note, it is really starting to seem as though there is something of a trend of people resorting to bizarrely disproportionate measures to deal with things they consider a problem, and I think a lot of it (maybe not this particular incident, but certainly vigilantism in general) can very much be directed back to the increasingly hysterical right-wing “tough on crime” rhetoric. They’re working people up into a lather, believing we are headed towards absolute chaos and societal breakdown, how the only thing that can save them are draconian “tough on crime” measures that those in power are simply too weak to implement. How the only thing that will save society is for every offense to be met with the most severe consequence imaginable. It’s not surprising that people are absorbing that message and that it is translating, ironically, into chaos.

3 Likes

I’m glad to see that the article made two very important points:

• eating lunch on a packed subway car is inherently unsanitary;
  • eating on the subway is illegal, whereas there are no regulations regarding hair care.
12 Likes

Yes, and I’m also glad to see the attention, however speculative, to stochastic violence. The assholes fomenting this kind of reactive violence should be held accountable. Somehow.

12 Likes

Gators.
Exotic pets like pythons set loose in the Everglades and elsewhere.
And radioactive waste.
And… Florida.

Hmm.

ETA: added a clarifier–>

etc.

7 Likes

The Simpsons Cartoon GIF

8 Likes