This is how some snakes can fly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/29/this-is-how-some-snakes-can-fl.html

6 Likes

Truly, evidence that even nature abhors snakes on a plane.

28 Likes

Flying snakes. This is my husband’s worst nightmare coming true.

8 Likes

I’m not sure about the physics of this, but I don’t remember the snakes tumbling in the movie.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Go home, Nature, you’re drunk

10 Likes

Its not clear from the summary if the snakes are using their bodies as control surfaces using air friction to choose their direction of travel, or if instead they’re gyrating to stabilize their fall the way humans will spin our arms when jumping into water from a height. Either way it’s pretty cool, but I hope they’re falling with style rather than gliding.

1 Like

15 Likes

I think its sort of at the junction between the two, like flying a wingsuit. There may be an angle here, in building a super high performance paraglider but I can’t for the life of me imagine how it would go together.

2 Likes

If I had this snake as a pet, I’d name it ‘Pip’.

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a scene where the snakes got into the first class booze cabinet?
Maybe that was a dream I had.

1 Like

Holeymoley i FORGOT my 80s love affair with this series. Also Piers Anthony’s Xanth stories.
I think ADF mightve dated better. Rereadin em. TX BUDDY! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, so snakes fly now.

Thank you for adding to my further list of nightmares from this year.

Murder hornets just werent enough for you people, were they? This year is utterly terrifying

8 Likes

It would be great to see a tv series based on Alan Dean Foster’s Humanx Commonwealth universe. It would be interesting to see Human and the insectoid Thranx ‘plugged’ in together in their fighting space-craft.

1 Like

… i believe I can fly.

not a snake. snakes are reliable.

2 Likes

Bad jokes aside, the paper’s snek matrix is totally adorable:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.