This is the best way to start a charcoal barbecue

I have one, I like it alot. Still have a chimney as a backup, but it definately is easy to get going, and is quicker than a chimney.

1 Like

Ya it’s a good piece of kit. Close to the perfect grill. The rolling cart, shelf, lid holder, folding grate, push-button start and charcoal bin pretty much overcomes all the advantages of a gas grill. All I’m missing is a rotisserie…

You might want to look at these two items if you want to do any serious smoke/BBQ cooking on the Weber.

(I have no financial interest in either)

2 Likes

Also from the wikipedia article on “barbecue”

In American English usage, grilling refers to a fast process over high heat while barbecuing refers to a slow process using indirect heat or hot smoke, similar to some forms of roasting. In a typical U.S. home grill, food is cooked on a grate directly over hot charcoal, while in a U.S. barbecue the coals are dispersed to the sides or at a significant distance from the grate. In British usage, barbecuing refers to a fast cooking process done directly over high heat, while grilling refers to cooking under a source of direct, moderate-to-high heat—known in the United States as broiling .

My point is that even among English speakers, as is often the case, the term is used to mean different things, and the sources you cite to declare a specific meaning do not in fact support your claim.

2 Likes

Huh? Your quote supports my point, though? Which, remember, is this:

What if you grill, using barbecue sauce? A conundrum indeed.

IMHO, in American English, barbecue is smoked and tends to involve barbecue sauce, grilling is grilling and sometimes involves barbecue sauce, and people who grill and call it barbecue are incorrect, because frankly there’s no comparison.

Admittedly, this was mostly lost on me the first half of my life, when I lived north of the Mason Dixon Line.

1 Like

Depends on what part of the US you’re in. In Boston MA Grill or Barbecue is acceptable. Here are a couple of examples.

• I just got a new grill; LET’S BARBECUE!

• I’m gonna setup the barbecue and do some grilling.

Unfortunately Joe & Nemo’s have closed all over Boston. The last one was in Downtown Boston on the side of the Filene’s building.

The word goes back to the Indigenous Caribbean word “barbacoa” for the wooden frames used to cook meat low and slow. It’s also the source of the word buccaneer because they hung out on the islands and barbrecued meat. If by “relatively recently” you mean “before white invaded the Western Hemisphere” I suppose you might have a point, but it’s not the way I’d use the term.

Eh, your cousins probably feel the same way when they visit you in Texas and you order a pizza.

2 Likes

Chilling Grilling

3 Likes

What, over seventy posts and no mention of George Goble?

This is the best way to light a charcoal grill:

1 Like

My Weber chimney fits perfectly on top of the base of my propane turkey fryer. That gets the chimney lit very quickly.
When just using paper to start the chimney, you can tear a layer of paper off the charcoal bag to use instead of newspaper.

1 Like

I have used the Charcoal starter can to cook over!
Instead of firing up a bigger grill for a small bit of grilling I used the starter thing.

[quote=“frauenfelder, post:1, topic:173632, full:true”]
Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/12/this-is-the-best-way-to-start.html

[/quote]

2 Likes

“What’s in a name? that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”

What’s in a name? That which we call a roast by any other name would smell and taste as delicious.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.