This is the deepest hole we've ever dug

Maybe not any temperature…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_hot

7 Likes

Baby Jessica fell into an 8" hole

4 Likes

The only thing that bothers me (and he’s not alone in this genre) is that most of the photos and clips used have nothing to do with his topic. It’s a common problem with these Ken-Burns-style YouTube documentary makers: there just aren’t that many photos of obscure topics like this that are publicly available online. Instead he mostly uses filler of random shots of construction projects of other big holes, random shots of machine tools and other heavy equipment, etc. It’s an okay mechanism to punctuate the dialog, but once you notice it, it’s really distracting. When your schtick is converting a Wikipedia page into a video based on google image searches, there’s only so much you can do.

4 Likes

This from W’pedia seems sad:

The project ended in 1995 due to the dissolution of the Soviet Union, and the site has since been abandoned. The ruins of the site, however, are frequently visited by curious sightseers. The superstructure tower was destroyed at some point between 2007 and 2012.

4 Likes

Ok, I guess that’s going to be a problem with the child labor force on the borehole team…

Yeah, that really struck me with this video, especially given the wild discrepancies between the natures of the holes being shown and the one under discussion. The other videos of his I’ve seen didn’t suffer from that problem (nor the “wikipedia page into video” issue). Though I am so distracted by the expectation that he’ll suddenly start belting out “Mama, just killed a man…” that I probably miss some of it.

1 Like

Apparently it would take around 50 seconds to reach the bottom.

They’ve since been forced to switch to miners instead of minors

8 Likes

6 Likes

Along with all the pens I keep losing.

1 Like

Came for the Balrog reference, leaving satisfied!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Oh, I don’t know – since for much of the time he was talking about a theoretical race for brownie points between Project Mohole and Kola Super-deep, just about any hole-related pictures would have been acceptable.
Yesterday I happened to watch a YouTube vid about Nazis digging a booby-trapped bunker in the Italian Alps to hide stolen gold. Stolen Nazi Gold! Wow. Clips included pics of coal mining from (I think) the British National Coal Board in the 1950s, and lots of unidentifiable sacks in a big room that almost certainly didn’t contain gold and almost certainly was nowhere near the Italian Alps. At one point the commentary suggests the gold had been “distilled” in Switzerland. Errr, no.
Lesson: if you’re discussing some vague hypothetical concept such as the world’s deepest hole, then even pictures of albatrosses could be relevant. If it’s something more specific, like a specific treasure in a specific place and time, you might want to try harder.
Nevertheless, I rather admire these bold souls who put click-baitey quasi-documentaries together from almost nothing but a Wikipedia search and a few barely relevant clips. It’s like alchemy. Good luck to them, and may their page views increase!

1 Like

“The project ended in 1992 at 12,262 meters due to temperatures of 356 °F …”

Metric or Imperial. Pick one!

“This is the deepest hole we’ve ever dug.” - anonymous Trump white house staffer

356 degrees F doesn’t seem that hot. I mean, it’s not until you get to 365 degrees that you start burning down the house.

1 Like

Arizonans be like, “but is it a dry heat?”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.