This is the new Helvetica

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/16/this-is-the-new-helvitca.html

2 Likes

@beschizza beat you to it by nearly a week https://boingboing.net/2019/04/10/helvetica-new-typeface-redesi.html

14%20AM

24 Likes

Bad @semiotix! Naughty @semiotix!
Now go to the corner and quietly think about what you’ve done.
:wink:

10 Likes

I wonder if the typo in the title is on purpose?
Apparently not, as it has now been corrected.

Nah:

18 Likes

10 Likes

Looks like some animal took a stringy dump. Man that is evil incarnate.
Still, better kerning pairs than Helvetica Now!

2 Likes

Helv yeah!

1 Like

My graphic-designer-turned-entomologist friend uses those two fonts exclusively when people ask him to design stuff

1 Like

That’s just grunged comic sans. This is Comic Papyrus:

bigcomic_papyrus

:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Oh goody. It looks like they are playing with the ligatures more instead of dealing with the numbers. grumble grumble One more Helvetica to match.

13 Likes

They didn’t know about offset printing in 1957? Phototypesetting was already a thing.

056c026d-1c66-4d42-9fae-a8e96df290c5-1020x1102

12 Likes

What does Helvetica have that it doesn’t already? It wasn’t slightly re-tweaked by us so we can sell it.

2 Likes

“Helvetica Now is the tummy-tuck, facelift and lip filler we’ve been wanting, but were too afraid to ask for …"

I’m not afraid to ask … I want my serifs back, please … Helvetica is the florescent light of fonts. I’m aware I’m in the minority on this …

1 Like

Meet the new sans!! same as the old sans!!

1 Like

I’m not a font guy and certainly no expert, but I’ll remain skeptical until there is a theory of type where a set of axioms can be used to prove the qualities of a particular type face. I’m fine with good old Baskerville; perhaps supplemented with Garamond, Clarendon, Didone (any of them), and Grotesque No. 9.

What did Times New Roman say to a scofflaw Helvetica?
I’m the serif in this town…

7 Likes