This is the trailer you're looking for. (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

That’s actually what I’m doing right this moment. Downloading it just to watch it in order to help lower my expectations. They managed to fuckup between ANH and Empire, and while I certainly recognize Jedi as the least of the orig-trig, it runs lightyears ahead of the prequels. So I’m just gonna go watch a crappy thing they did in 1978 to help remind myself that they had just really awful dreck even starting out.

1 Like

7 Likes

OK, I have the tingles.

2 Likes

I just brought mine for the 17th - because global Blockbuster Release dates are weird.

2 Likes

That’s been more than just hinted at in the “Shattered Empire” comic and the “Aftermath” novel.

This looks fantastic.

I don’t care if you think “Star Wars / my childhood” was ‘destroyed’ by the prequels. I don’t care what you think about Lost, the new Star Trek movies, or Cloverfield. I could not care less.

What matters is that this movie, right here, looks fantastic, and I’ll be there on opening day.

3 Likes

I have read no Star Wars-related media since Alan Dean Foster’s “Splinter of the Minds Eye” – the movies form my entire base of knowledge – but, then, cool!

3 Likes

Honestly, that’s for the best. Don’t get me wrong – there’s lots of quality Star Wars books, comics, and games out there that are extremely worthwhile reading/playing – but a lot of fans immersed themselves in the storylines and had expectations of them being reflected in the new movies, but were surprised when Lucasfilm recently declared all of them non-canon. So, going into Episode VII and beyond, the only genuinely canon material are the movies and the TV shows (Clone Wars and Rebels) along with any new books coming out now.

Personally, I love the late-70s Han Solo Adventures books :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought mine for the 19th at the only true IMAX screen in Manhattan (97 feet wide!), also with reserved seats. I love the reserved seat thing, as you used to have to get to that theater an hour early to have any hope of a decent seat.

1 Like

“It’s true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They’re real.”

Do these people not keep records? This is a small irritant that I’m not going to let get in the way of what I hope will be an enjoyable movie. It’s just funny to me that in this complex technologically advanced society these spectacular things happen and no one seems to be saying, “Hey, is anyone writing this down?”

2 Likes

“It’s true. All of it. The Dark Side. The Jedi. They’re real.”

Yes, it is all true.

1 Like

Well, that’s what’s interesting to me. Pretty much all of the books and fan stories assumed that Luke would get started on creating a new generation of Jedi, or start an academy, or that Leia & Han would have Jedi kids or something. With this new canon, we have no idea what’s happened in the past 30 years; did Luke do something terrible and get exiled? Did the new government cover up the Dark Side and Luke’s parentage? Why don’t people remember these things? I’m super intrigued.

4 Likes

Especially since, between each set of movies, all the important people from the previous set of circumstances are all still alive. Historical memory in the Star Wars Universe is like 15 years. It must be fun to be able to experience the thrill of mythologizing history that happened super recently. It’s as if we could be like “Wow, I wonder what it was like to live in medieval times! Were the knights really that chivalrous?”, “Hold on, let me ask my dad. I’m pretty sure he was a knight or something…”

4 Likes

I think there’s a world of difference (no pun intended) between life on Coruscant and other planets. I think we get a good sense from the prequels that although there are a large number of Jedi, they’re hardly abundant in the galaxy, and a coordinated military order effectively kills off 99% of them in a day without a lot of effort. We get a Jedi-centric view of things, but we see in IV-VI that for most of the galaxy, they may never meet a Jedi or be exposed to the Force.

3 Likes

Even the midichlorians?

shit.

5 Likes

#ALTERNATE TIMELINE REBOOT BUT AT LEAST WE HAVE ALTERNATE YODA STILL ALIVE ON AN ICE PLANET PLEDGING TO NOT INTERFERE 

unless feel like it he does

3 Likes

Very well said. At its heart, Star Wars is basically a western. All the really interesting stuff happens on dusty backwater fringe planets where people are just trying to survive; things like people with laser swords and magic floaty powers are just legends.

6 Likes

Yes, especially them there midichlorians.

I read pretty much all of the post-Jedi novels (except for the YA stuff) - I’m not overly surprised or upset that they’re not using that material for the movies. If anything, I’m excited that I now get a whole NEW canon to immerse myself in. Aftermath was a great start.

Exactly this - and it’s hinted at in the new book. Very few people ever encounter a Jedi… Even within the Empire, high level (like, ADMIRAL level) people who never personally encountered Vader or Palpatine don’t necessarily believe that they had the powers that they supposedly had (and that it was instead just a cult of personality thing, or just some hoodoo religious nonsense).

6 Likes

I feel you bro. I watched it first thing this morning when I got up and … it’s a good thing I hadn’t done my makeup yet. I couldn’t stop crying.

4 Likes