This is the way to sell bananas - a pack with a spectrum of ripeness levels

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/14/this-is-the-way-to-sell-banana.html

6 Likes

I eat a lot of bananas every week. This solves a problem I do not have with unneeded additional packaging.

23 Likes

I’m eating a banana right now.

21 Likes

This is fscking brilliant!!!

Also, you forgot the obligatory “Look at those bananas. Just look at them.”

14 Likes

Yes!

Just look at that banana-packing technique!

Just look at it…

9 Likes

Pretty much what I try to get at the grocery. But there is a trade-off with breaking into too many singles.

1 Like

I’m not eating a banana right now, but this is genius! GENIUS!

1 Like

Bananas already are wrapped in the banana peel. Any form of additional packaging for bananas is why the planet is dying.

24 Likes

I think I’d appreciate a how ripe are these bananas graph so I could figure out which one to eat first.

4 Likes

This must be done with avocados!

9 Likes

Given that most UK shops seem determined to sell bananas under-ripe, one alway has to buy a new bunch a few days before you might want to eat the first one. But then I hate unripe bananas and will happily eat them pretty much until the skin is almost black all over. But for those who like their bananas ‘just so’ I can see this would be a major improvement.

(Also, can anyone explain why all media these days seem to think their readers are stupid, and inisist on quoting the tweet text in their own text and then featuring a copy of the self same tweet, just in case we didn’t understand that when they said “in a tweet” it was in a tweet? Do we really need to have the same sentence twice in quick succession?)

6 Likes

Just look at you!

6 Likes

Wrapping the bananas accelerates the ripening process. I also believe separating a banana from a bunch accelerates the ripening process for the single. The additional packaging and labor required to do this adds cost. I don’t see the benefit here.

10 Likes

The concept could have been done with a cardboard backing and some type of paper based ribbon down the middle.

8 Likes

Yeah except for the plastic, FFS

6 Likes

The planet isn’t dying; we are merely simplifying it’s ecosystem.

6 Likes

The planet isn’t dying - it’ll quite happily continue revolving around the sun while evolutionary epochs occur on it’s surface and then get wiped away on a regular basis. The planet couldn’t care less about plastic bags, just the bits of the biosphere that we rely on for our survival, those are dying. nods yupyup.

8 Likes

They get levelled up as they get riper and riper. Green bananas go in the car to eat at work. Yellow bananas with green tips get eaten when the mood strikes. ‘Too yellow’ bananas get put into peanut butter-and-banana sandwiches. Freckled bananas become smoothies. Black bananas get substituted for eggs and oil in cheap boxed cake mixes.

I used to have a rabbit. Pointy ends went to bunny.

8 Likes

Bananas go from shopping bag into plastic bag which is then closed. One is taken out each day. When last banana is eaten, bag gets folded up for reuse. Virtually zero waste and zero pollution.

2 Likes

Ripening is triggered by ethylene. The banana emits ethylene as it ripens, which presumably triggers ripening in other bananas. The same mechanism causes tree leaves to go yellow at the same time. In the days of gas street lighting, trees went yellow early if there was a persistent slow gas leak, which told the lamplighters where something needed fixing.

Bananas give off a lot of ethylene, which is why they are sometimes kept apart from other fruit. Wrapping the banana keeps the ethylene in and speeds the ripening process. You could create a bunch of bananas with all stages of ripening with differential ventilation.

Mad Science! Bwhahaha!

5 Likes