This is the world's loudest bird

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/23/this-is-the-worlds-loudest-b.html

3 Likes

Yikes, great morning alarm.

12 Likes

Ah, yes, the rare mating call of the South American reversing forklift.

18 Likes

I remember the Bare-Throated Bellbird at the Detroit Zoo when I was a kid. It was very loud.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I love how he’s all fronting lizard tail: Tha’s right! Tha’s right! What this? Oh. Yeah: I eat these all the time!

EDIT: well apparently I have displayed a startling ignorance about white bellbird anatomy! That ain’t lizard tail sticking out of his beak! That’s… uh… a comb or wattle or something…

4 Likes

hey, please don’t post videos of me on the boards

1 Like

“BAH-BAH-BAH-BUT HER EMAILS!!”

(I put a complete sentence down here to shut the stupid BB filter up YOU HAPPY NOW?!?!?)

2 Likes

So their call is feedback, nice. I suppose it’s a good thing it doesn’t seem to be part of a flock?

I wonder if birds in forests above a certain density have more piercing calls than otherwise? Though there are possibly too many variables to prove such a thing?, including what the calls are for, how the bird goes about courtship, etc., etc.

And bumped out of the number-one spot on this week’s countdown is another cotinga, the screaming piha (whose call may sound familiar as a background sound in movies, according to Wikipedia):

2 Likes

mating call… that’s louder than what you’d hear holding a chainsaw while not wearing earplugs.

That’s odd, because holding a chainsaw while not wearing earplugs is my mating call.

7 Likes

I thought I’d try this with my mate to see if it worked with mammals. She laughed, told me to STFU and go to sleep. Guess it only works in the aviarin world.

3 Likes

Thank you, David, for including the dB level and the distance from it. Measures of volume are too often published without that key piece of information so it’s refreshing to actually understand how loud this bird is from just reading about it without experiencing the pain first-hand.

4 Likes

My cockatoo Elwood could smoke that birb. When he gets riled up, he can clear a room.

2 Likes

Are you by chance a lyrebird?

9 Likes

I associated this with preliminary world war three earlish warning thingy

1 Like

I call BS. The loudest bird in the world is outside my window every Saturday during the spring. Pretty sure it’s a mocking bird, and the little bastard is mocking me.

2 Likes

When I lived at Fort Sam Houston there was a mocker who lived in the bushes in front of the house. It learned all the bugle calls and would be playing Reveille at 2 PM or Retreat at dawn.

2 Likes

So, this bird can almost make himself heard in the average nightclub.

The teenager needs a new pet… why not one that doubles as an alarm clock!

2 Likes
1 Like