This is what happened to D&D 4e

http://modenook.com/the-murdersuicide-that-derailed-4th-edition-dungeons-dragons-online/

1 Like

While this is a tragedy, how many other business plans are waylaid due to life,death and the other intricacies that surround them?

At work we talk of areas where there is a “Bus Factor” of 1. That is, how many projects and just run the business tasks would be set back if someone was hit by a bus and killed.

6 Likes

The only things I care about in this story are the people.

The only project with this risk factor that I really care about is Linux.

1 Like

Man, I wanted more insight into the whole failure. DDI always felt like it was thrown together out of nothing.

How little did they have that the bus-factor was this high? What was the decisionmaking that went into that? Did they have any red flags about Batten? What about the other people that were working on the project? How did they feel?

2 Likes

it’s like a master class in how to write poorly. Cliches. run on sentences, the whole lot.

3 Likes

My game group was very excited about DDI’s potential, beta-testing it, and figuring out ways it could work with our campaign. Watching it slow, stall, and then die entirely was baffling and confusing for such a high profile project; I wasn’t aware that this tragedy had affected it. It explains a lot about the implosion of DDI.

4e could have survived (and did) without DDI, but for a lot of players it was just too different, too simplified, too MMORPG-ish; it was very obvious that WotC was eager to pull World of Warcraft players into tabletop gaming.

3 Likes

Sounds like a whole lot of poor decision making, all around.

1 Like

It’s difficult to talk about an honor-killing, ‘decision-making’ doesn’t seem to cover it, though.

1 Like

If you interpret my comment so narrowly, you can take whatever shit you want to on it. But you missed my point.

1 Like

It wasn’t meant as a critical hit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.