This is what happens when movie props don't work as intended

I want to know who got blamed for this. Was it the props department, or special effects that screwed up?

Not all of them were CGI. The T-Rex in the anecdote mentioned above was an animatronic built by Stan Winston Studio: Building an Animatronic Dinosaur

Another interesting close call with this T-Rex.

9 Likes

I’d assume that kind of thing happens pretty frequently. Here’s Kurt Russell accidentally smashing a 145 year old guitar in The Hateful Eight.

3 Likes

I was not expecting the Mr. Rogers biopic A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood to have an on set death.

(a sound mixer had a heart attack and fell off an apartment balcony).

1 Like

the dali lama was resting inside no harm will come

com-optimize

9 Likes

My thinking exactly It is like he was either BTS or B cam on a Mother Daughter setup but it felt anticipated

You aren’t kidding, that list is a goldmine of hilarious or terrible things.

The Lost Patrol (1934). During filming in high temperatures in Buttercup Valley near Yuma, Arizona, Director John Ford insisted his cast and crew only work in the early mornings and late afternoons to avoid the most intense heat of each day. Under pressure from RKO to speed up filming, Producer Cliff Reid insisted that the midday break be shortened. Ford refused, believing that many of the crew would be at risk of heatstroke in the 120-degree F conditions. Reid tried to prove his point by walking around in the open in the midday heat and soon collapsed with heat exhaustion, requiring hospital treatment.

11 Likes

Wouldn’t a proper movie have a gimmicked vase? I know that glass bottles can be made out of sugar.

Yeah, and on proper movies mistakes get made…

The subhead lies.

“Priceless Martin guitar smashed by Kurt Russell”

A priceless artifact doesn’t have a price tag attached.

6 Likes

IIRC he didn’t know it was real and felt bad :frowning:

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.” - Mel Brooks

3 Likes

Well, it doesn’t really have a price anymore…

3 Likes

With director John Landis accounting for the cause of 3 of those; a star-struck jury let him off, of course.

1 Like

Because of that accident, a lot of helicopters used in movies today are CGI.

9 Likes

I understand the quib, but only considering monetary value to stuff is precisely what hit the world into the mess it’s in.

1 Like

This is from 1997

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/230693467_The_value_of_everything

That approach has had over twenty years to work it’s magic, and the earth has suffered in the interim,

1 Like

4 Likes

My guess: To show the floor when the vase breaks. Otherwise, it would just be a crashing noise.

4 Likes