This is what it's like when tyranny takes hold

And they were overthrown by a different bunch of people. Man, what a merry go round!

2 Likes

Yeah, it would take a demagogue who was an expert in cold-reading a crowd to promise them what they want, and circle of ideologues who put ideas above people, and a whole bunch of people who just go along.

Inconceivable!

2 Likes

He was that French plumber guy, right?

2 Likes

Who was in love with the United States! I think he was the last one…

How about the French?

They did it about a half-dozen times over two centuries.

4 Likes

Practice makes perfect, I guess!

3 Likes

I wish i knew more of the political history of France, so i will claim ignorance here but my impression had been that the French revolution was kind of a clusterfuck politically speaking. I really need to read and educate myself about it, i recall studying the philosophies from the French Revolution but little was discussed from the real world implications of it.

1 Like

That’s kind of what I was going for with “a half-dozen times over two centuries.”

2 Likes

Downside: Reign of terror
Upside: People who lived in huge residences filled with ridiculous amounts of gaudy gold decor were temporarily removed from power

1 Like

@nimelennar & @Brainspore: The French Revolution did succeed in spreading the ideas and philosophies of democratic governments, so in that aspect it was hugely successful. But yeah, clusterfuck as far as how it ended up shaking out. It’s a strange contrast that wasn’t discussed during my school years.

7 Likes

It is not hard to argue that the government that replaced the Shah was better than his. As an atheist it does feel weird defending the theocracy in this debate but I would absolutely refute the claim that it was much much worse.

Tyrannical states with strong secret police forces (SPF) are difficult to successfully overthrow without either assimilating the SPF or co-opting their tactics and structure.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.