This lime is offensive

3 Likes

12 Likes

Kiefer leaves.

5 Likes

But still offal.

4 Likes

See, that seems like a very reasonable compromise. You avoid the slur, but it’s still clear what you’re talking about.

Whatever you want.

How is misspelling a slur avoiding it?

1 Like

Speaking of racist foods, can’t we do something about these crackers?

1 Like

who are they kidding? they should try putting a few smokes and a nip of Jack.

1 Like

yeah, just think of the progress we could make if racists would just spell it as “nihguers”.

also, elementary school children have been misspelling “faggot” for decades; didn’t seem to help much.

1 Like

Yes. That is precisely why we are here.

1 Like

Only when the show is over.

3 Likes

This seems a very reasonable response. Local names for food vary highly depending on region.

For example, I grew up on the West coast of the US, and “Tri-tip” is a cut of meat that you can find in every store. It wasn’t until I was well into my adult years that I found out that it’s either called other things, or doesn’t really exist at all as a separate cut in other parts of the country.

1 Like

well first he eats shoots and…

3 Likes

My read is that “Kaffir” had its origin in an and old Muslim/Arab derived word for “infadel” so definitely a negative if nonspecific term to begin with. It does seem that Apartheid South Africa is the only place where it became a specific slur. The entymology of the word seems to be the same though. The slur nature of it just came around later, and in a specific context.

Dago on the other hand? I’m not sure if that word really exists outside of its context as a slur for Italians. Even specific to the food item. I don’t know how the American slur “dago” ends up as a name for an Italian derived American sandwich without starting at the slur.

Other than that I’d just prefer to go with Makrut because its the local name for it in the country that most commonly uses it (as far as I know).

1 Like

Whelp, better start thinking of new names for Lake Titicaca…

Not only did they not avoid the slur (if you knew it was a slur, which I didn’t), but I had assumed the beer had kefir in it. GROSS.

Double fail from my POV.

3 Likes

relevant. http://www.inquisitr.com/890257/chinks-steaks-opts-for-less-offensive-name-sales-plummet/

2 Likes

Is “nagger” a slur? Or “Kiefer,” as in Sutherland? For that matter, are the words “fork” and “shot” and “can’t” considered too hot for TV? “Kieffer” wouldn’t even be pronounced the same as “kaffir.”

This is why I refuse to eat crackers

3 Likes