This Logitech mouse is changing the way I think about tech

My anecdotal opinion is that every time I have tried to use a Logitech mouse high-end or low, on Windows or Mac, I’ve wanted to throw the damn thing across the room. Poor tracking and too many buttons that are easily accidentally clicked. I hate the magic trackpad too (mostly because it has all the flaws of the trackpad on my laptop with none of the advantages of locality to where my hands already are). On the other hand the magic mouse 2 I love because it does the four things I need perfectly without a lot of extra stuff I don’t: move on xy coordinates, scroll on xy coordinates, right-click, and left-click. Occasionally I will use the swipe between full-screen apps but tend to use multiple monitors instead of full-screen. I have a low tolerance for complexity though and prefer a loose, do what I mean input device, to one with lots of precise features I need to memorize how to invoke.

1 Like

FTFY, the two are very different.

:joy:

4 Likes

Graphite is conductive, lucky you didn’t kill it, suggest next time use teflon-based lube.

Good point! At least I think it was graphite. Some kind of spray lube. In any case that was like 6 years ago and it’s still working great.

2 Likes

I use whatever mouse somebody else threw away. E-trash is everywhere, discarded keyboards and mice are legion.

As far as I’m concerned they are pretty much all the same, except this Evoluent sideways mouse I’m using right now, which is somewhat kinder to the old carpal tunnel.

2 Likes

If I am tossing it then it you wouldn’t want it as it is well and truly b0rk3d and on the way to ewaste.

On topic I am liking the current Microsoft mouse I picked up on the cheap for my current work laptop. Not awesome but fits in the bag well and doesn’t make my arm hurt.

1 Like

The most important feature of the Logitech mice I use is the usb dongle that means no Bluetooth pairing and re pairing hassles.

1 Like

I think those are ISM band without Bluetooth, so they have a whole different set of issues. Like security holes for example.

The logitech “unifying receiver” usb dongle and their DiNovo dongle do have bluetooth-like pairing kerfuffle. (But the pairing reliably survives power cycling, which makes it about eleventy-jillion times better than my car’s OEM bluetooth…)

Interesting topic.

Personally i dislike trackpads with a passion, so i do find the idea of someone going out and adding one to a desktop PC quite bizzare. But personal tastes and all that :slight_smile:

For stuff i use: For my laptop i go for thinkpad x series laptops mainly because i can use the trackpoint mini-joystick and disable the trackpad. I generally use a wireless mouse in preference to that though. Current model is a Microsoft 3600, brought because it’s bluetooth so i don’t have a USB port tied up and a dongle to lose.

For my desktop, i’m now on my third iteration of the Razer Naga series mice (literally have worn two out from sheer usage over the years). Once you get used to the bank of 12 buttons under your thumb (and especially if you fiddle with the software and get multiple profile banks of windows/program shortcuts set up on them), it’s amazing for general use as well as games :smiley:

2 Likes

Another vote here for the M705. Has a beautiful mix of advanced features and reasonable price. I accidentally left my M705 at work over the weekend and fretted about it the whole time. What if it was lost? How quickly could I get another? Never mind that I had several M510’s and M325’s around. Not the same. BTW, how the hell do people use trackpads? There is software that becomes unusable without a good mouse.

2 Likes

Even better, you can pair the dongle to 6 devices. For a while, I kept keyboards at different work locations. Just plop the laptop next to it and they connect without a pause. Mice … I just have one that travels everywhere my laptop does. Leave a good mouse somewhere and it gets borrowed and never returned.

1 Like

Macs aren’t known for their robust logic boards.

I’ve found a vertical mouse is a lot easier on my wrist:
Evoluent is the best, but you can get a cheap one to try out the vertical position for about $15.

1 Like

sorry, you’ll have to use the print dialog if you want to save to pdf. Annoying, right?

IMHO, the biggest problem with the mac’s GUI is that too many apps use the option key to hide things from the average user.

This mouse is on sale at Staples right now for 19.99 and available in red, blue and black

“Mouse technology has apparently come a long way in the eight years since I used anything but a trackpad to do my computing with.”

Just a small bit of humorous irony here, in that the M510 was first released eight years ago. :slight_smile:

I’m a huge fan of Logitech mice, primarily the M310 (similar to the M510, but no side buttons). I bought a half-dozen more than five years ago, refurbished ones, for only $9 each, and they’re all still going strong.

2 Likes

Agreed. And when my Microsoft trackball broke down (not the same as the Explorer, but similar look to this next one), I found this:

Logitech M570, one at home, one at work. Then while in Osaka last year found this (they hadn’t arrived in the UK at that point) and absolutely love it:

Logitecth MX Ergo - not cheap but built like a tank and very relaxing to use.

2 Likes

Big fan of the Logitech G600 here :

… I think it’s marketed for gaming, (which I’ve never used it for) - but I have become very comfortable having ctrl-c/v, page-up/down, “close-tab” etc. accessible with minimal muscle-twitches at any moment. Not to mention application aware profile switching - so when in various CAD or graphics programs all the appropriate keybindings apply. Have these on the main system at work and two different stations at home. Fast updates = low latency and programmable LED’s present the profile status at a glance, so that’s good too.

Somehow these satisfy a certain “frequent-effort/minimal-actuation optimization” itch very well.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.