This McDonald's restaurant bathroom in Tokyo has a special iPhone-cleaning machine

Originally published at: This McDonald's restaurant bathroom in Tokyo has a special iPhone-cleaning machine - Boing Boing

2 Likes

Its interesting though i have a wallet style leather case on mine and that would never work with the device :stuck_out_tongue:

This McDonald’s restaurant bathroom in Tokyo has a special iPhone-cleaning machine

OK, I’ll bite. Does it only work on smartphones made by Apple?

2 Likes

Kindof neat, but I don’t think there’s anything ‘iphone’ specific about it.
Also, I’d have a hard time trusting that the thing is actually going to work and actually spit my phone back out in one piece (I guess that Japanese bathroom technology is just that much more advanced and reliable)

1 Like

How quickly can a SIM card be cloned?

1 Like

I’ve always cleaned my phone regularly.

Whenever I’m out and about I sanitize my hands before touching it.

When I get home it gets wiped down with straight alcohol.

My daughter got me one of those Phonesoap uv light cleaner things several years ago. I used to use it but I start to shake if my phone is out of reach for more than a few seconds so I don’t use it very often. But, it’s a pretty slick device.

I thought it took several minutes to kill things though. I wonder how long it takes. If that video is real time it doesn’t seem long enough.

But cool that they installed it.

Is UV degradation of plastic components or phone shells at all an issue with this?

1 Like

As my grandmother used to say, “if you want to get something really clean, take it to a McDonald’s bathroom”.

2 Likes

Yes and no. Mostly no, because most people will buy a new one before UV degradation really becomes an issue.

In my experience, for some people “iPhone” is basically a generic term that covers ALL the smartphones!!!

Like my parents, who are in their late 80ies. My dad has an actual iPhone, though. My mum has an actual iPad. When I visit they complain to me about each other and how the other one spends far to much time with his/her device.

1 Like

I’ve always bought my parent’s phones and had them on my plan since the 90s.

They never showed interest in smartphones no matter how hard I tried, they just wanted a phone.

Then one day, my dad, in his mid 70s, said he needed a new phone but they didn’t make the one he had anymore. I said sure they do. He said he wanted an iPhone. I said sure I’ll get you an android smartphone like mine so I can talk you through stuff.

Nope he specifically wanted an iPhone. I pushed him a little, turned out the other old guys at the golf course he worked and played at were teasing him about is candy bar Nokia.

Yup, peer pressure from old kids.

That’s when I bought him his first iPhone 6.

Forced me to learn about iPhones though so I could help him.

2 Likes

Exactly. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was made by TikTok.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.