This much easier way of threading a needle works like magic

Now do it with my machine’s needle.

I use a loop threader on a stick.

Amazon Link: https://tinyurl.com/yaqhjcmp

1 Like

mous beat me to it, but self-threading needles have a kind of claw at the eye end, you pull the thread across it and it snaps into the eye. This is the style I’m most familiar with: https://www.mileskimball.com/buy-self-threading-needles-311501

The needle in the demonstration is an embroidery or crewel needle, meant to carry larger or multi strand thread. Most “sewing” needles sold are of this type. A true hand sewing needle has a tiny round hole and is called a “sharp”, and would never work like this, and also don’t work with the wire thing. I just use reading glasses and waxed thread.

3 Likes

Get an auto-threading machine!

I know vintage is popular, and I personally own a Bernina Record and a few mechanical Pfaffs all in top condition - but my computerized Juki is a marvelous machine.

1 Like

Sailrite LZ-1 for canvas, light leather and a Europro for clothes and stuff. I’d love a long arm Juki but I’m on a tight budget. Maybe someday.

I’m now old enough that unless I have loads of light, I can’t easily focus on the eye of a needle, but I’ve found blindly jabbing the thread at the approximate location works after a just few attempts.
I tried this ‘rubbing the needle on the thread’ method but just ended up with a sore hand.

2 Likes

That needle is enormous. That’s the one weird trick. I think you’d use that needle for stitching up a deerskin jerkin or tilling soil.

(It’s not a self threading, it’s just that it’s large enough to have a grooved eye, which catches the light weird.)

I have several of these and never knew what they were for - thank you

2 Likes

Hazzah! Now you no longer have to struggle with threading the needle next time you need to put a button back on a shirt!

I remember seeing one of those as a kid and had no idea what it was for. I loved all of the gadgets and gizmos associated with sewing that my mother and grandmother had. I never learned to use a sewing machine though, so I hand-sewed a lot more stuff than I probably needed to.

Now my hands and eyesight are shot and I don’t sew anymore.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.