This new tabletop RPG by Native designers shows what an uncolonized North America might look like

Originally published at: This new tabletop RPG by Native designers shows what an uncolonized North America might look like | Boing Boing

3 Likes

That looks really cool

5 Likes

It does look cool. Does anyone know what this means: “If you’re Native, you can do this. Or, if you’re non-Native, please don’t do this.” --is this referring to if you’re a Native/non-Native player, or if you’re playing a Native/non-Native character?

(I’m not disputing whether there should be things that a Native should be able to do that a non-Native shouldn’t, in everyday life, like (dumb example) wearing a ceremonial headdress–just wondering how something like that could get incorporated into game mechanics?)

1 Like

This makes me wonder if any novelists have explored the idea of how Native American cultures might have developed in an alternate-history universe free of European colonialism.

Kind of like how Wakanda is an exploration of how a resource-rich nation in subsaharan Africa might have developed if spared the effects of European colonialism.

5 Likes

yup. dumb.

4 Likes

I’ve never been too interested in RPG, but this sounds fascinating.
Has anyone shown this to congenital asshole Rick Santorum?

9 Likes

My GF shared this with me today. This guy can get fucked on so many levels.

Sounds like an interesting game! Reminds me of Shadowrun, if the world wasn’t colonized.

D12-based game

Anyone have info on a D12 based game? Haven’t heard of that before.

4 Likes

“d12” generally refers to 12-sided dice in gaming. Likewise for d6 for six-sided dice, d20 for 20-sided dice. It likely means that the rules are set up so the d12 is the base for most of the rules, character creation, combat, etc.

2 Likes

Right, but the d20 rule system from Wizards of the Coast mostly plays well with one another, with the core rules, concepts, and stats used being the same - but specific details tailored to the world/game are different. So it also can refer to a specific system that is shared across other games.

I wasn’t sure if d12 was something a lot of indie games like to use, or what or what.

2 Likes

He was going for Nordic rather than North American though.

1 Like

Last year I read an excerpt of a comic book with this very same plot, but I can’t remember the name or the artists. It had a “Man in High castle” vibe, as objects from " our" reality started to pop up around as a coalition lead by the navajos are planning to attack the Aztec Empire and loot the capital.

Edit - I found it!

edit 2 - For some reason they have horses…

3 Likes

an uncolonized North America

Obligatory:

7 Likes

I assume that they omit the horses?

2 Likes
7 Likes

Who needs horses when you have Battle Elk?

5 Likes

Or battle moose:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Yeah, no.

I was just wondering because most of what European settlers think they know about the plains culture is wrong, or flipped on its head and still flipping when the settlers got there, due to horses.

I don’t play RPGs, but good world building and story telling based on it interests me.

1 Like

They’re talking about Players.

From one of the updates on the Kickstarter campaign (that I backed, BTW):

“When it comes to the actual game, we address this concept head on in a few ways. First, we have pages at the start of the book that directly speak to non-Native players and Native players. We discuss how each group should approach the game and some obvious no-no’s for non-Natives. But throughout we call attention to specific things where there might be a chance for any non-Natives to misstep or for Natives to add value.”

1 Like

There were horses in Americas once. Maybe in this World they weren’t extinct and whatever preserved the horses, maybe, kept the europeans stuck in their lands.

1 Like