This online comic shows how pick-up artists morphed into the alt-right

That’s a very kind assessment of how he views these matters.

Anyhow, didn’t he make it clear that your lived experience has no bearing on the discussion? /s

8 Likes

I like your posts in this thread a lot. They are always balanced and considerate.

As a simple answer: I don’t think that this thread in particular or boingboing in general is a place to discuss whether any kind of seduction advice, for men or for women, is appropriate, sexist or else. I did not say it is and I did not say it isn’t. I simply wish to leave that particular part of the discussion aside.

Well why didn’t you say so earlier? Your personal disappointment with BB carries so much weight.

Attention all BoingBoing Authors and commenters: the formerly hidden arbiter of the site’s content hereby declares that content related to PUAs is off-limits on account of it hurts his fee-fees.

9 Likes

Alright, that strikes me as totally weird. It’s a comic about how PUAs morphed into a community driven by a hate-filled ideology. I would think that the latent misogyny in PUA culture would be a key piece in that puzzle. You said you didn’t see how it got from where it was when you were a part of it to where it is today. The sexism inherent in it is the answer to that question (along with lots of other factors like competition between profiteers; discussion forums where hateful voices are amplified; encouragement from society for hateful groups to come out into the light so we can celebrate debate them; etc)

Anyway, I think I’ve said all I have to say on the topic, so have a good day.

10 Likes

You are free to discuss the subject as you so wish. I just said that I will not do so.

If only you’d come to that conclusion four days ago.

8 Likes

But dont you feel so special; he usually likes your comments! You can die happy now, grac; there is no higher, more prestigious seal of approval…

7 Likes

That is the key point I am not convinced about, but I have already explained that.

And you. It was a pleasure to have you along.

13 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.