This portable cooler + beer tap turns cans of your favorite brew into frothy, freshly-poured bliss

As a German I would be interested where this was because that is not at all usual. Unless of course you are speaking about a properly poured Pilsener? But that’s just how pils is supposed to be? 1/4 beer is not something I have ever encountered or am aware of as a regional style.

3 Likes

I’ve never been paid $119 to train people on pouring beer.

I did get paid in whiskey once.

1 Like

I transformed an old fridge into a full size kegerator years back. I couldn’t ever get anything but 70-90% foam out of it. I’d lose track of how many actual beers I had, and so I got schlossed a lot. Almost to the point of being a problem. The old fridge died finally, and I craigslisted the CO2 set up to some college guys. Good riddance.

Somewhere near Munich. The beer was Helles, I can almost remember the name for the pour - mostly foam but in the standard .5L glass. Was mostly older/elderly people drinking it, but it was definitely a named drink. I ordered one because I didn’t recognize the name, and was sad.

Was it Schnitt or Spruz? That is indeed a sort of informal thing you can order as your last beer of the evening or if you’re old and infirm.

When my mother was young and working in a Wirtshaus they also used to keep a selection of immersion heaters on hand because the old men would order their beer “g’staucht”, i.e. warmed.

5 Likes

In home built kegerators (and cheap consumer units) the problem is usually thin gauge beer lines and fittings.

Often in combination with too much pressure. Kegerators should be run 5-10psi. I usually find right around 7 is perfect. But the lower the diameter of the beverage lines the lower the pressure needs to be to prevent foam, and the thin lines there’s a really narrow window between won’t pour and pours straight foam.

Commercially 5/16" ID line is industry standard, but anything from 1/4" to 1/2" gets used. Most home kegerator kits and a hell of a lot of what’s sold in the home brew scene uses 3/16" or 1/4".

2 Likes

That was it!

1 Like

The only solution for those moments when you want your beer to be as flat as the copy in the article. Seriously… someone wrote that, edited it down, and thought it was worth turning in.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.