This potoo is a master of camouflage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/10/this-potoo-is-a-master-of-camouflage.html

11 Likes

Now that I know about this bird, it’s as much a “must-see” in Costa Rica as the Resplendent Quetzal – assuming you can, y’know, see it.

19 Likes

My favorite camo pic.

“Yeah, go ahead and try to come into your house! I’m hungry”.

23 Likes

Wow. What a neat bird. That has to be the laziest nest, but I guess it make sense they lay eggs on broken branches and then can sit on them pretending to be a branch.

Also - that mouf!

9 Likes

I hope the bird returns to the egg. It doesn’t take much to spook a bird to the point that they abandon their nest.

7 Likes

That is the least convincing Muppet I’ve ever seen.

@AnthonyI The video ends with adult and hatched chic sitting on the fence post. However, I agree; this sort of situation calls for a long lens.

29 Likes

Didn’t you watch the 2nd half? There is its baby also being a stick.

“Like this mommy?”

“Yes, straight up like a stick. No peeping.”

14 Likes

Thank you for sharing this wonderful creature :slight_smile:

Another great example of convergent muppet-form evolution!

10 Likes

You obviously didn’t stick around (although it really is “skip ahead past the 30s of pointlessly focusing on an egg”) to see the pair of them.

2 Likes

Potoooooooo?

2 Likes

I guess if you’re going to go about laying eggs on fence posts you’d better have some bangin’ camo.

7 Likes

I love those goofy looking birds and their abillity to transform from a broken branch into a muppet within seconds.

6 Likes

The ending I was expecting:

1 Like

Via r/worldbuilding:

9 Likes

Two common potoos sittin’ in a tree
U-N-B-L-I-N-K-I-N-G

UyHrWY1

7 Likes

how_not_to_be_seen

10 Likes

:musical_note: Potoo that votoo that yo do so well. :musical_note:

2 Likes

“Why does the Porridge Bird lay its egg in the air?”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.