See close-up video of this incredibly camouflaged "ghost bird"

Originally published at: See close-up video of this incredibly camouflaged "ghost bird" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

ReBoing! (Well, nearly - similar but different footage, to be sure. But it was camouflaged, so you get a pass, I guess, @pesco)

6 Likes

Wow that call can also be heard in florida, in the area of mar -a- largo

4 Likes

It’s so much more fun when you can see its face, though

8 Likes

It looked like it left behind an egg when it flew off? Surely that can’t be right though can it?

5 Likes

Potoos are monogamous breeders and both parents share responsibilities for incubating the egg and raising the chick. The family does not construct a nest of any kind, instead laying the single egg on a depression in a branch or at the top of a rotten stump.

5 Likes

Wow, i guess it CAN be right! Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

Immediately tempted go get a pootoo egg to incubate at the Yayoi Kusama museum and see if it comes out with appropriate polka-dot camo.

1 Like

I think the david attenborough got some of those maybe…

Through a fascinating quirk of evolution they’re actually closely related to the domesticated horse.

2 Likes

That’s a clever name!

I have slightly mixed feelings about this. It’s a very cool birb vid, but I hope the birb returns in time to continue the incubation period and isn’t too stressed out over the disruption.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.