This "retro" technique still makes the best coffee

I think it comes down to people who prefer paper filtered vs those that do not. A metal filter, like one finds in a French press or a "permanent " filter found in some drip machines, gives the purest from of drip coffee. But a paper filter reduces some of the acidity, which for many (including myself) improves the taste. Aeropress uses a paper filter (not that I need to tell you - I mention for others) and so it is more like traditional drip coffee or pour-over.

Personally I find the aeropress a little fussy, and good only at making one cup, so it’s my backup device for when my espresso machine isn’t working or for when I feel like more of a drip coffee than espresso drink. I also use it when camping. I have a drip machine that I pull out when I have houseguests (otherwise I have to make a dozen lattes every morning) but it doesn’t make good coffee, in part because it has a perma-filter. I should probably replace it with a paper one.

I have pre-ordered the Spinn coffee maker and have (probably unrealistically) high hopes for that and it’s ability to make both espresso and drip coffee, by the cup or by the carafe. Will review when it arrives sometime in the next few months (hopefully).

5 Likes

I just read up on this technique - very interesting!

1 Like

Aeropress, please have a look at Aeropress. It’s like the modernisation of a French press. Great for camping as well as at home.

1 Like

My “retro” technique makes the best for me. Prior to having coffee, I’m not really up for some 17-step process involving grinding and roasting things nor operating a machine, nor do I have time to wait around for coffee to be ‘done’ or for it to cool down enough to drink afterward. The “spoon coffee into cup, add water” method is far easier and quicker.

As a bonus, you don’t need to add lots of random ingredients and come up with some complicated 43-syllable hipsterese name for it. (fair-trade organically shade-grown locally-sourced artisinal fine-ground rough-roast low-sugar crappucino with caramel flakes, chocolate shavings and peppermint dust). Instead, you can just drink it and be happy.

6 Likes

Nope. We’re dragons in the morning. Draggin’ ass, draggin’ eyelids, dragon attitude. We break shit. Glass is really hard to clean up when you’ve got blood in your caffeine stream and 5 pounds of Siamese demanding food.

Best investment we ever made was a Saeco super-auto. (Wanted a Jura, but we haven’t found a money tree.) It says it’s fully automatic, but you have to press a little button. I clean it after supper each night – compost the pucks, rinse out the trays, refill the water. Gets a citric acid tab every teenth Tuesday afternoon and a deep clean when it starts acting flaky (about every 6 months.) It’s a marriage saver.

(Also, French press has a tendency to make IBS/GERD worse. We learned that the hard way.)

5 Likes

Just please don’t tell me you use Folgers… gah. Even the Safeway and Kroger brand is better than that stuff.

3 Likes

Same here. I bought a De’longi capuccino machine around Christmas. My parents had a Saeco before but they complained about the customer service after Saeco got acquired by Philips.
We like the added functionality of making frothed/steamed milk. The milk carafe includes a clean function, and it’s removable for storage in the refrigerator, so no milk is wasted. We need to clean the milk carafe every three days or so in the dishwasher.

1 Like

french press make me remind some one ,hmmm.past im always make coffe with french for some one, but now she 's already left me away, but i still keep the french press in the cabinet…:cry:

6 Likes

IMHO it’s bloody awful way as any shop bought coffee is too finely ground and you end up with sediment in your brew… I’ll stick to drip (with a paper cone even though I have a stainless steel filter- same reason as above) or my espresso (Gaggia Classic or my stove-top)

1 Like

I’ve got the lowest end delonghi, works well but needs a lot of cleaning inside as it gets grounds everywhere. My old Krups one was better- is this still an issue with yours?

With the caveat that I own the current machine for about two month:

There are a few crumps of grounds on the elongated part of the drip tray where the “puck” (pressed grounds) container is standing on. When the machine ejects the pucks a few crumbs fall to the side of the container on the drip tray. But it seems the drip tray is elongated exactly for this reason and it’s no hassle to clean. A picture is worth a thousand words: :grin:

The “puck” container is not connected to the drip tray and removable on its own.

This is the most civilised conversation about something I’d presume (this being the internet) would be a divisive topic - and on an advertisement thread to boot :grinning:

Currently being summer, I swear by this for cold brewed coffee these days.

6 Likes

I remember my father taking me to building sites in the 70s.
Smells of tea and coffee, combined with the odour of freshly cut wood and wet cement always trigger memories.
They made coffee from this stuff:

(I tried it again a while back - it’s a stretch to call it coffee, really).

4 Likes

Is it pre-sweetened? I’m guessing it tastes a lot like General Foods International Coffees, which seemed incredibly sophisticated when I was 9.

10 Likes

There’s a similar, but more fancy-pants technique used for clearing stock using beaten egg whites as a sort of sieve. You pour em onto the liquid and then make a little hole & ladle the stock up through that over the egg whites so they catch all the bits. It seems like a massive fuck-on though.

1 Like

Sure, but this being BoingBoing, you know you’re dealing with caffeine junkies. Like @logruszed posted above: when you’ve just woken up, the best coffee is the coffee you have. Bottoms up to that.

3 Likes

A coffee plunger might work. Just enough for me and I don’t have to worry about the cost. Do they sell them in the US or should I check Amazon?

directed to those people

Sounds like Turkish and Cuban hae the same effect. I must try Turkish coffee now!

YES!!

2 Likes

Respectfully, sir, you are a barbarian.

2 Likes

My $55 Mr Coffee Dual Shot Espresso begs to differ. Can’t beat espresso!

Why do you think that is? The metal versus paper filter aspect?

1 Like