This "retro" technique still makes the best coffee

The paper absorbs some of the oils, though I’m not sure how it affects GERD. I can vouch for the fact that it does, though.

5 Likes

French press’s and automatic coffee machines both generally use metal sieves/filters.

Regarding GERD: I’m far from being a coffee expert but I think the lower acidity with espressos (that’s what most of those machines make) is based on the shorter brewing time and using different coffee roasts.

2 Likes

2 Likes

https://www.coffeeam.com/?gclid=CKqm_M-crtICFRBEfgodNnkKaQ

1 Like

We will never be friends. :grin:

That said, of the instants I have tried the best is Starbucks.

3 Likes

You can roast your own with a hot air popcorn popper. It’s fast, easy, and cheap.

1 Like

Is it everything I dream it could be?

1 Like

LOL.It’s just like you think your coffee isn’t also shite.

2 Likes

I’ll have you know that my coffee is from Murica!!! and that’s all you need!!

7 Likes

I regret that I have only one Like to give this.

2 Likes

Starbucks’ instant is very good, not as good as brewed, but a really decent substitution. Any of the Italian “instant espresso” powders make a nice rich cup as well.

Instant Folgers, Taster’s Choice, and Sanka were what I knew growing up, so there’s definitely some nostalgia there for me — that’s the smell of my Dad’s coffee. But when I have it, I always start regretting it after about half of a cup.

4 Likes

If fast is in your dream then yes. Also, if having the water be the right temp.when it gets to the grounds, then yes on that as well. If expensive and kinda’ fiddly to use is in there or not, you get that too. If you don’t dream about bells and whistles, you’re in luck.
It does make very good coffee.

PS, it helps to warm the thermos before using it.

1 Like

Everything but the expensive and fiddly. I looked at the glass carafe model, but just to spendy for my world.

1 Like

In our cases, it is distinctly an effect of roast and oils. A dark roast is lower acid, but higher oil, a lighter roast is higher acid, lower oil. When we bought the Saeco, it came with stern instructions to avoid dark roasts (oil gums up the gears) and espresso tastes better when it’s not burnt, anyway. (We live at high altitude; local roasting is a more than usually tricky business, and dark-to burnt has become the norm. Alas.) French press grind of darker beans tends to release more oils with less filtration.

But some people are more sensitive to the acid than the oil and do better with a darker roast.

3 Likes

Thanks. So it’s the oil, not the acidity, that causes the problem for those medical conditions. Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought there was enough difference, you know?

1 Like

It is, kinda like condensed milk mixed with coffee.

While we’re at it: I’m a big fan of vietnamese style coffee lately. Very strong coffee made with the drip method combined with sweetened condensed milk (also available as iced variant).

5 Likes

Bloody Americans who can’t cope with difficult foreign words. It’s a cafetiere, not a French Press.

5 Likes

Bloody British who join BB just to insult Americans with false semantics rage!

Oh, and welcome to BoingBoing

13 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing, new poster.
I notice that you can’t cope with difficult foreign diacritical marks. It’s a cafetière, not a cafetiere.

14 Likes