This robot is very skilled at tossing bananas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/28/this-robot-is-very-skilled-at.html

8 Likes

Just look at it!

24 Likes

If you wanted a banana-bruising machine, I bet I could have come in cheaper and faster.

9 Likes

" This robot is very skilled at tossing bananas"

wink, wink - nudge, nudge.

13 Likes

Oooh, can you make two of them and put them in gorilla suits?

12 Likes

I don’t recall exactly, but doesn’t “placing” have certain mechanical advantages over “throwing” outcome-wise?

4 Likes

Came here for this, leaving satisfied, - DNRTFA

5 Likes

Of course the robot is more accurate than the researchers. The robot is indeed tossing the objects, but it’s also moving the bin to catch them. The footage of the robot tossing to specific locations was more impressive.

This is no way diminishes their technical achievement, but the description of what the robot is doing seems about as accurate as their own tosses.

2 Likes

So, I’m an amateur game developer, and for a long time (intermittently) have been puzzling out how to make a set of connected, rotating joints move to place an end-unit in a particular location (think robot arm “hand placement” or, like me, dragon head on the end of a snaking neck arriving at a desire location) I have some ideas how to proceed, but they come down to having certain major movements pre-mapped to certain head-zones, and then iterative nudging of the rotations to arrive at the precise location.

Anyone know a good place to start with learning about the math behind multiple-jointed arm placement? An intro to the mathematical concepts, theory and/or existing code examples?

1 Like

MPFC__nudge%20nudge_italiano

6 Likes

At 714 throws per hour, that’s a lot of banana-looking to cover. Can humanity keep up?

2 Likes

what hope does humanity have if we build robots that are a bunch of tossers.

4 Likes

I think it’s been done before…

johnny%20five%20tosses%20banana

I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it. I’ll show myself out…

9 Likes

Gorilla.bas! Have all the likes! :slight_smile:

God, that takes me back…

2 Likes

“Stephanie?”

4 Likes

But can it toss salads?

(I’ll show myself out as well…)

9 Likes

Wait, it wasn’t fair to the humans because the box stayed in one place.

The relevant googlons are “inverse kinematics” and “motion planning”.

5 Likes

Eventually, the robot … could lead to more efficient pick-and-place (grab-and-toss?) robots for factory automation, debris clearing at disaster sites, or perhaps package delivery.

Don’t tell me what this might lead to! We all know where this is headed.

7 Likes

Yes, to human “tossers” being even more unnecessary than they already are… :thinking:

3 Likes