Mark Setrakian's Axis, a sinister-looking robotic hand that spins a globe

Originally published at: Mark Setrakian's Axis, a sinister-looking robotic hand that spins a globe | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Needs more Bowie
fd2bf102e481f99eb2495b132d979be5

Yes I know, it’s not his hand. But we could all use more Bowie.

12 Likes

Good back scratcher.

I saw a model number on one of the servos and looked it up. $500 each. This guy’s not messin’ around.
I think the 3D printed claw finger shapes are what make the piece work.

6 Likes

With an equally sinister tone arm, this would make a perfect turntable to listen to my collection of Death Metal LPs!

3 Likes

Having used inverse kinematics in 3D animation I’m wondering how this pans out in the “real world”?

In this example the required position of the fingertips is inversely translated down to the rotating joints to create the overall motion of the five fingers but from an engineering perspective I’m wondering if this motion is implemented as a forward kinematic function from the base of the fingers up to the tips? Inverse kinematics (IK) is determined and ‘then’ translated into forward kinematics (FK)?

As Setrakian mentions the tips of the fingers only operate on a single/static plane which would not be as complex as a moving or deforming plane i.e. a fully inverse kinematic system…

Any thoughts other Boingers?

He should do that with turtle legs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.