This robotic arm's cleanup task is bloody endless

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/06/this-robotic-arms-cleanup-ta.html

3 Likes

Metaphor for the next four years.

14 Likes

Metaphor for manufacturing over the next four years.

7 Likes

I didn’t see this helpful murderbot in my kids book

3 Likes

Welcome to the club, pal.

8 Likes

The CIA is buying 800 of these.

6 Likes

Contemporary art is often totally obtuse or painfully on-the-nose… In either case usually just a complete fucking bore. My quick test is: does a one-sentence description produce the same or superior outcome outcome as witnessing the piece in person? If yes, it probably wasn’t worth creating.

4 Likes

It might make some progress had it been coded to clean instead of take one halfhearted swipe and then spin randomly around flourishing its squeegee. As I strongly doubt the artist’s intended message was “Don’t let the artist program the extremely expensive robot”, I declare it a failure on miscommunication grounds and award it two out-of-context urinals out of a possible five.

17 Likes

Very Lady Macbeth

2 Likes

Well I found my next random encounter. No table needed!

2 Likes

That robot looks like it could punch through the glass and cause some real controversy.

7 Likes

Talk about your DNA Lounge…

1 Like

1 Like

On the other hand, generally farting about and waving your arms in the air might be a rather good metaphor for political effort.

3 Likes

I think it’s a metaphor for the Chinese government’s attempts to suppress information, actually.

4 Likes

“Put down your audio guide! You have twenty seconds to comply!”

1 Like

I was persuaded to go around Tate Modern a few years ago and found much of the stuff that I had really liked in my 20s now seemed tedious and uninspired. But then I reflected on how the visual landscape has been influenced by it. If a Magritte looks like an advertisement nowadays, it’s because so many advertisers have channelled Magritte and got attention by an apparently absurd juxtaposition. Since Tinguely kinetic sculptures have also become trite, but then a lot of artists who live long enough end up parodying or copying themselves. Being original is hard; being recognised as original is harder.

7 Likes

Menstruation joke.

It would be very relevant though.