This self-walking exoskeleton infers your destination and takes you there

Originally published at: This self-walking exoskeleton infers your destination and takes you there | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“Do you have stairs in your house?”

5 Likes

Me drunk in a bar, “take me home exoskeleton legs”.

17 Likes

And that subtle urge to jump that many people experience when standing at the top of a sheer cliff will take on a whole new level of hazard.

6 Likes

I go for a walk to clear my head. → Robo legs take me to the liquor store.

5 Likes

44 Likes

You can get the sponsored version a bit cheaper, if you don’t mind visiting Starbucks and Target a lot.

8 Likes

Beat me to it.

2 Likes

I hope these are main stream by the time my leg goes to total shit and I can’t walk any more.

2 Likes

From the OP I thought they were using external facing cameras to determine the persons intentions, which makes no sense. Humans have been refining ways to use our hands and mouths for communicating intentions for millenia.

This is a system for visually segmenting the environment to determine the best walking path. They collected over 5 million images of indoor and outdoor real-world walking environments and trained a convolutional neural network to predict the right path through the environment (~73% image classification accuracy)

1 Like

This will turn people into video game avatars, climbing stairs when they didn’t intend to and such. It will be amusing for onlookers. Well, for onlookers who lack empathy, anyway.

2 Likes

Came to ensure someone had referenced this. Left satisfied.

2 Likes

The first thing I thought of was the intelligent machinery in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy doing obnoxious things to Ford and insisting that he likes it.

1 Like

Techno-trousers - ex Nasa!

1 Like

Particularly in the form of ads.

You can go anywhere you want as long as you just pop in here and there first.

Nerd tangent: Did James Rhodes somehow get un-paralyzed at some point between Avengers: Endgame and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier? The last time we saw him he still depended on a powered exoskeleton for mobility but a couple of months later he’s walking around the Smithsonian museum in normal dress slacks.

endgame

Maybe the Wakandans helped him out with some high-tech pants? As my kids pointed out when watching the show, the Wakandans really are exceptionally generous when it comes to making prosthetics and high-tech garments for folks, even folks that they don’t know well and don’t owe a damn thing to.

4 Likes

It is kind of funny that the new embodiment of American patriotism is wearing a uniform that presumably has a “Made in Wakanda” tag inside the collar.

Black Panther did establish that Wakandans have the technology to heal serious spinal injuries, but from a storytelling perspective taking away Rhodey’s status as a person living with a visible physical disability is kind of a cop out especially since his character was an important milestone for representation.

2 Likes

Or you happen to be talking to some creep whose nuts you want to kick…

1 Like

I am deeply skeptical it can just up and take me to vegas.