This senior dancing at an electronic music festival is cooler than all of us

Oscillator · Paperclip People
The Secret Tapes Of Dr. Eich
℗ 1996 Planet E Communications, Inc

A friend of mine programmed Mr Craig’s computers for this LP and during the US tour. I’d either just turned 30 or was about to when the LP was released. Love that great old school Detroit techno.

1 Like

8 Likes

I’ve noticed that, starting in the last month or 2, the local Whole Foods seemingly plays the same 8 or 12 songs over & over. But thankfully they’re good. For example, “Tell Me Something Good” and “Bop Gun.” Of course I’m going to start dancing around. I hope I’m 1/10th as entertaining as this guy.

MOMs (local organic grocery) used to play classical but switched to bebop not long ago, and I’ve found myself scat-singing or making some kind of attempt at it…

It is possible, in the right place with the right song, to get an entire grocery full of people moving:

4 Likes

If you’ve got it, flaunt it.

Anyway, the older I get the more I realize that being myself is much, much better for me than being cool.

10 Likes

Hq Both Is Good GIF

(To clarify: by doing one, you’re doing the other and raising the bar for, & aspirations of, our nation’s youth*)

*(youth = anyone younger than us)

5 Likes

Good to see an older gentleman setting a good example. It’s fairly weird though that this clip, filmed in Haarlem in the Netherlands, where I’ve been living for some twenty years now, should reach me via such a detour. (I didn’t attend the festival, not my kind of music, really.)

4 Likes

The Intarwebz sure is a strange place, with weird coincidences alla time.

2 Likes

I have serious issues with the way nursing homes and a wider population see ‘old age’ as being locked into an anachronistic idea of what being old means with regard to musical taste and life experience.

Dad passed away last year at 85 but was a rock DJ on radio in the 60’s and 70’s in his 30’s and 40’s. Lived through major cultural and musical changes all his life in what can be considered the Post-Modern era.

In his aged facility we were lucky enough to have a younger carer who saw his life as interesting and meaningful… not old folks love classical music because they are old folks.

“Old Folks”… how patronising is that phrase!

Older people have to dance like no one is watching because dancing would seem to be reserved for the young.

7 Likes

You dad sounds very cool indeed. I am so very sorry, and also V glad he had a hip young carer.

Stupid young girls’d deliberately bump me (not slamming, mind) while I danced when I was still in my 30s! I just ignored it, kept dancing way better’n they ever would, and danced alla way thru the set. They all hadta sit down after only a few songs. Singers and bands’ professional dancers would single me out and compliment me on my dancing, but not them. tophat-biggrin El Vez complimented me from the stage, and the crowd applauded, but I was so busy panting and guzzling club soda I didn’t catch what was going on. My sound man BF had to hip me after the gig. Met one of his dancers in the ladies’ room, and she said, “Damn, girl, you more than kept up! You should come with us!”

[I probably should have done. “I only live a mile from here! Run me home so I can quick grab another coupla bras and my contact lens shit!” :smiley: ]

I danced at shows well into my 40s, but decided to mostly give it a rest now I’m mid-50s and V round. I still head straight for the front, and if the music moves me, so be it. Anyone laughing at me risks an “accidental” elbow.

9 Likes

fuck yeah dancing GIF

3 Likes

Exactly. To certain generations, “oldies” or “classic rock” have specific (if rigid & arbitrary) definitions, but to persons like me (70’s kid; 80’s teen; 90’s young adult) where does the Bee Gees, Depeche Mode, or Nirvana fit in when we GenX types reach our senior years?

3 Likes

Nobody is dancing with him because they cannot match his awesome moves. I’m definitely stealing some of those myself.

3 Likes

He is what I want to be when I grow up.
I know this is just a snapshot of the festival, but we go see live music (or did, in the before times) and I’ve definitely noticed that it seems like people don’t dance anymore. Or very few. It’s the creeping of life becoming a spectator sport.
I usually DGAF and dance anyway, but sometimes knowing that everyone else is just standing there watching the few of us dancing makes it kind of uncomfortable, as opposed to when at least half the crowd would be getting down.

5 Likes

actual footage of Rick Scott at the drug-fueled orgy that Maddy Cawthorne describes.

2 Likes

I’ve danced all alone countless times. I’ve also got others up and dancing after I started.

The only time I ever felt nervous about dancing alone, it was a show by members of Parliament/Funkadelic at a V intimate venue, and I was one of three white folks there [two were employees]. I figured, “Fuck it! This music is so good I have to, and I can dance like a MOFO!” and did so. I was soon joined by several others, and everyone smiled at me at the end of the night :smiley:

Music and dance unites people. That’s why fascists hate them both.

9 Likes

Yes, but, it not only makes all the hairs on your body stand on end, it actually forces your body to grow more hairs so they can stand on end too. Science fact.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.