This Spanish steakhouse serves 3D-printed vegan meat

Originally published at: This Spanish steakhouse serves 3D-printed vegan meat | Boing Boing

1 Like

Just as long as I don’t have to eat it nude.

4 Likes

Star Trek Drink GIF by Paramount+

4 Likes

No such thing as vegan meat. And I wonder how all these food products made of toxic chemicals affect people’s health.

1 Like

Technically true, but we all know what that phrase means.

12 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

This is like when people whinge about the use of organic, when describing particular kinds of food by saying “well all foods are organic”… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

The word meat meant solid food long before it meant just animal flesh, and people still say things like coconut meat without anyone blinking. But it’s always important to complain about vegan stuff however you can, for some reason.

9 Likes

Here you go…

2 Likes

Attempts to recreate animal meat with plant material is fascinating, but I’m even more interested in the possibilities inherent in the technology to make other things. One could make some really wild food items with the tech - things unlike any plant or animal, with novel combinations of taste and texture.

They’re just made with processed plant material. If there are “toxic chemicals,” they’re going to be the same things that end up as preservatives and texture stabilizers in existing foods. Sure, plants may be less healthful in more processed form, because they lack fiber (and potentially some nutrients), but that doesn’t make them “toxic.”

7 Likes

The idea of just charging blindly into completely unnatural parts of taste and texture space sounds hard to make pleasant…but then I guess that’s how we got most of our snack foods, huh? There is not much in nature like a gummi bear or cheeto puff.

2 Likes

Given that 3D printed food is basically just goo extruded from a nozzle into a desired shape, I wonder where people draw the line as to what counts as 3D printed or not. Is a funnel cake 3D printed? A swirly soft-serve cone? A churro?

5 Likes

Just don’t look up how Mc"ribs" are made! :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

2 Likes

Obligatory Veridian Dynamics test lab for artificial meat scene

2 Likes

Not just snack food - making “unnatural” (i.e. novel) tastes and textures is pretty much the entirety of, well, cooking. Spaghetti doesn’t grow on trees, after all (BBC reports to the contrary notwithstanding)…

3 Likes

Ultra processed food with good PR – would not try.

1 Like

2 Likes

My youngest loves corn dogs. He’d certainly go for a Twinkie Dog.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.