This speech by Neil Gaiman is a must-see for any artist or creator

Originally published at: This speech by Neil Gaiman is a must-see for any artist or creator | Boing Boing

8 Likes

It’s a great speech. There’s a full transcript here, and it was converted into a rather artistic book, as well.

5 Likes

here’s a good one by John Waters:

4 Likes

when you start out as an artist or (anything else for that matter) you likely have no idea what you’re doing, and this is a great thing.

3 Likes

jesus, that brought tears to my eyes at the end. all i had speak at my graduation was a local hangin’ judge. i can’t imagine what it would’ve been like to have someone as inspirational as Neil Gaiman speak. lucky kids.

1 Like

neil-gaiman-not-kidding

2 Likes

I have only seen a handful of these U.S. commencement speeches and this is one of my favourites alongside Ali G’s:

Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G) Class Day | Harvard Commencement 2004

My job entails watching a lot of inaugural professorial lectures first hand.
I have a soft spot for entertaining and interesting lectures and speeches and would welcome other recommendations from boingboing followers.

Seth Meyers (comedian and talk-show host) gave the commencement at Northwestern University in 2016. It was pretty funny at the time. The audio doesn’t do justice to the crowd’s laughter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.