This TikTok video of a stay-at-home girlfriend is a gothic horror story

Originally published at: This TikTok video of a stay-at-home girlfriend is a gothic horror story | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’d be interested to see one of the serious videos she based that on. I have no doubt they exist and are completely disturbing.

6 Likes

Indeed horrifying.

As an (honest) idle aside, what characteristics make a horror story “gothic”?

(next up: what is required to make a film noir? “well, it’s gotta be black/white and everyone wears fedoras, right?”)

4 Likes

Like this video, they usually feature haunted (not necessarily by ghosts) or cursed architectural surroundings and physical landscapes with weird features (secret rooms, hidden grottos, dungeons, etc.). Psychological abuse or manipulation of women also figures into a lot of gothic horror. The stories are brooding and atmospheric without necessarily featuring violence or gore or monsters (at least not at first).

8 Likes

There also tends to be a dark sense of humor to the stories as well.

7 Likes

There are a bunch out there. Though, is hard to tell at this point which ones are sincere and which are parodies.

8 Likes

It’s the flying buttresses.

adventure time head GIF

8 Likes

Online Games No GIF by SWR3

4 Likes

I dig the deadpan delivery. Like that woman who “fixes” graphic design.

4 Likes

She also did a sequel “Evening in my life as a stay at home girlfriend”

6 Likes

omg she was hysterical.

That went Dark

3 Likes

I think there is no Rodney.

In all three episodes when she goes to check the if the door is locked (which she states Rodney locks from the outside) she has to first remove the door chain. If Rodney locks the door from the outside, who placed the door chain?

2 Likes

Maybe she did, out of some unconscious sense of self-preservation.

1 Like

But in the third episode, she still has to unhook the chain even before she discovered the door is unlocked.

1 Like

So funny - “Something about the little bike seemed to job my memory. It awoke something within me, and so much came flooding back.” Then, instead of relating these childhood memories this invoked, she recites facts about when the bicycle was invented.

3 Likes

I highly recommend watching all her videos.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.