This tiny supercheap Gerber multitool comes with me on trips

ok, so what does it mean?

Well, I’ve never heard the exact term “TSA Safe” before but I’ll assume it means the same as “TSA Approved”, which means that the tool was designed not to violate any of the rules about what can be brought through a TSA checkpoint, and that someone from the TSA reviewed the design and agreed that “yup, this doesn’t break any of our rules”.

However, the final decision about what is or is not allowed through a TSA checkpoint is always left to the discretion of the officers on duty, so being “TSA approved” is no guarantee that you won’t get unlucky with a TSA officer who’s feeling grumpy or hasn’t read the rules as closely as you have.

3 Likes

I had it on my keys and found that the screwdriver was constantly stabbing me in the leg. Other than that… super useful.

Nothing a few minutes on a grinder wouldn’t fix! :grin:

Gotcha.

Yeah, that would be my biggest apprehension is that you’d buy one, even print out some “TSA approved” paperwork or whatever, just to have some indifferent/authoritarian/knuckle-dragging TSA arbitrarily agent confiscate it. At least that would save the whole plane from whatever terror I could inflict with a tiny piece of metal.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.