This tiny supercheap Gerber multitool comes with me on trips

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/01/this-tiny-supercheap-gerber-mu.html

1 Like

“Supercheap” is good to know, but what is its price?

2 Likes

Remember that “TSA safe” means neither “guaranteed not to be confiscated by the TSA”, nor “permitted through security at airports outside the USA”.

I had a nice little Leatherman multitool, with no knife blades and “TSA approved”, which consistently got through TSA checkpoints (occasionally after a bit of explanation) but was confiscated the first time I passed through an airport security checkpoint outside the US (during a connection in Narita).

7 Likes

Wow, I’m shocked, (no, really!)

1 Like

The screeners at Narita were polite, but firm. The language barrier prevented me from explaining that it didn’t have any knife blades.

They unpacked my bag with white cotton gloves.

2 Likes

I’m sure it was a bag full of nothing but white cotton gloves that had them freaked out in the first place. Ah look, coffee… gluggluglug what was I saying?

7 Likes

$7.99 as of when I clicked, but Amazon’s repricing algorithm will bump it up as soon as enough people have clicked. (Who knows what it started at.)

3 Likes

He thought he was being clever hiding it in there! :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve had one for a decade on my keychain and it’s the best.

3 Likes

This is part of my daily carry too, and somehow the TSA still has not managed to confiscate it.

I’ve also used it to open security bolted hotel windows.

Ditto. I use this all the time, for the most random things. Super useful across the board, and travels without issue (from TSA or from me in my pocket) on keychain. Bought one for me and more for relatives after seeing on here a few years back.

THEY NEED MORE TOOL LABELS
I COUNT AT LEAST 19 TOOLS

18 Likes

ditto - I’ve had this for ages, very handy.

I’ve just moved, and my tools are in my long–delayed sea freight. It’s been fantastic having this thing, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used it. I’ve changes batteries in my daughter’s toys, fixed a stuck cupboard door, and changed hard-to-reach settings on an outdoor motion sensor light. Highly recommended

2 Likes

I prefer the Gerber Artifact, but its #11 blade holder makes it totally not TSA safe. I don’t even know if they still make this any more. Every time I misplace mine, I mourn for days until I find it.

1 Like

hmm, if I won’t notice it till I need it that means it will get lost inside my house and I will never see it again. Luckily it’s a small price to pay for that experience.

Beware of fakes, don’t buy from marketplaces sellers.

The wire strippers are the 6 dents on the sides, not the nail puller.

I’ve carried one (or two, makes a nice impromptu gift to have an extra) of these on my keychain for years. The gray ones are cheaper, just as functional, but less attractive to me.

I’ve paid as little as $5.20 for them from amazon, the price is all over the map.

1 Like

Yup. $8.99 now.

1 Like

I carry this on my keychain for a while. Great for tightening a screw here and there, opening Amazon boxes, and **** like that. It’s main problem is it’s not “flat”. I actually have the Gerber Dime multitool (TSA safe version) on the same chain, but I found I mainly use the scissors on the Dime to cut my broken nails. sigh

I’ve got the one-tool (lanyard hole).

1 Like