This TV ad for a Canadian bank may make you cry

I don’t know that they’re wondering about a missing feeling - they’re just sounding a bit sad for being so jaded, but they’re a lot safer for it. Considering the fact that there’s another thread on this very site that’s talking about the legality of websites to use their members in experiments for the purpose of gaining data for market research — people should recognize pretty well what’s going in this ad.

Folks, this ad is doing what Facebook did when it gave people positive feedback, only in this case - you’re the user getting altered messages. The bank is trying to emotionally manipulate you from a distance - and it seems like you know it.

I applaud you.

I also wonder if the responses would have been so very jaded if the initial post by @xeni hadn’t contained the information about TD Bank’s involvement in the ponzi scheme. That made them as a company immediately untrustworthy, before anyone ever watched the commercial. Would everyone be equally untrusting of an ad for a company that they think they can trust?

As a person who has worked with advertisers (and now refuses to do so), I’m always curious about this type of thing.

1 Like