This Twinkie is 40-years-old and it looks good enough to eat

[Read the post]

This Twinkie is 40-years-old and it looks good enough to eat

Yes. If it were offered to me, I’d try a bite.

But I’m also the kind of daredevil who never uses the ass gaskets in public restrooms.

Damien Hirst for the masses

Do they have a control snack cake, made without preservatives?

That Twinkie is sealed in a (presumably) air tight container, which prevents mold and other decayers from breaking down the Twinkie. Now, if the Twinkie was left in the open air, and it still looked fresh, then I would question what they put in it.

Serious Eats has a whole series of posts about why McDonald’s hamburgers don’t rot. TL;DR: “McDonald’s burgers don’t rot because they dry out” I imagine Twinkies are similar.

This is the latest post:

We would occasionally leave one in walls that we framed, for future generations to marvel at when the house was torn down or remodeled.

Remind me never to race you to the bottom.

It would get really dusty.

Yup that’s exactly it. It’s just dehydrated. If it were sealed in its original bag the moisture would have been contained and we may have another scenerio…

Quite the opposite exactly. The enemy is moisture.

PHOTO: 100-year-old wedding cake found in grandsons garage in Yakima, Washington.
Courtesy Ronald Warninger
100-year-old wedding cake found in grandson’s garage in Yakima, Washington. more +
One man’s discovery while cleaning out his garage gives a whole new meaning to the “something old” portion of the well-known bridal adage.

There are ration crackers (hard tack) from the civil war still around. Those things didn’t have preservatives. Just flour and water (maybe a little salt?)

A Youtube video went up recently of someone eating some Civil War hardtack.

I think there was also edible honeycake found in an Egyptian tomb.

I would have gone with “This Twinkie is 40 years old and it looks as good to eat as it did 40 years ago”.

Fair enough.

:slight_smile:

Probably taste the same, too. (Because they weren’t tasty at the time, either.)

I literally just brought this up at lunch today. Cue The Twilight Zone theme!