This video explains 'The Art of War' in 5 minutes

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/11/this-video-explains-the-art.html

2 Likes

Just a reminder - War is a poor analogy for Business.

10 Likes

And Business is a poor analogy for Government.

16 Likes

I only have 2.5 minutes, do you have a “The Art of War” in 2.5 minutes?

7 Likes

Yeah, the whole art of war is… don’t go to war at all if you can avoid it

5 Likes

There was also a text by the same name by Machiavelli.

Sun Tzu is interesting and all and lots of the business books which claim to give insight into Sun Tzu’s work really butcher things.

As for me, I’m a Clausewitz guy.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with the Art of War. It lays out the basic principles and ideas of conflict concisely.

However, keep in mind that during periods of China’s history, they made generals out of the people who aced their civil service exams, and packed them off with a copy of Sun Tzu’s War for Dummies.

2 Likes

Isn’t the Art of War in five minutes… well… this?

3 Likes

exasperated sigh.

2 Likes

And government is a poor analogy for cake.

3 Likes

Ah, Clausewitz… I keep coming back to him, and one day I will actually finish reading all of it.

In the meantime, there’s always this:

2 Likes

And cake is a poor analogy for bread.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

(fuck you, filtering algorithm; an exclamation is a complete sentence)

1 Like

No!

Q.E.D.

2 Likes

I recall this bit from those bygone days when Salon was cool.

Then, abruptly, a rather different image began to form … It was the image of a wimpy, uncoordinated loser, clumsily miming a martial-arts stance and trying to stare down a bully. The image of a hopeless nerd, powerless against his enemies, pretending that he was only “concealing courage under a show of timidity,” “masking strength with weakness.” I’m not really timid and weak — just wait till I show you my kung fu moves! You’ll be sorry then!

3 Likes

Sun Tzu would take issue with the title of that video. He didn’t strive to or even suggest “winning every battle”. See also Pyrrhic victory.

1 Like

Not the easiest of reads since sometimes the best stuff comes up in an unexpected chapter.

Those are fun to quote inappropriately.

1 Like

I prefer the sequel,

(source is Oglaf, a great but often NSFW webcomic)

7 Likes

BoingBoing comic pitch/idea: A Sun Tzu & Trump webcomic done in the style/theme/parody of the old Goofus And Gallant comics