This video explains why you should never place your feet on the dashboard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/09/this-video-explains-why-you-should-never-place-your-feet-on-the-dashboard.html

4 Likes
10 Likes

Yeah I’ve already seen Death Proof, thanks.

8 Likes

And my legs don’t fit up there.

9 Likes

Especially while driving

14 Likes

IMG_4494

9 Likes

That was way too tame. What they missed is that your head will also still be traveling forward to meet your knees. This is also why I never let the kids lay down or even slide down onto their lower back in the back seat. A seatbelt goes over your hips and shoulder. Imagine what it does when it’s tucked under your ribcage and across your neck.

9 Likes

The way seatbelts sit on shorter people? I keep intending to try out one of those adjustable sliders thingies but haven’t managed to get one yet.

1 Like

A lot of modern vehicles have a slider adjustable upper attachment point on the B piller for that reason now. Of course depending on how short is short the range of adjustment might not be enough though. These sorts of things are unfortunately still often designed with consideration towards only “man sized” people.

4 Likes

For those of us who are very short, it’s really not enough. I ended up getting one of those sliders that @BakerB mentioned and that’s helped, but the slider built into the car doesn’t help if you’re very short.

3 Likes

The last thing going through your mind will be your kneecaps.

2 Likes

For sure. It’s an improvement over the old fixed point designs but it’s still insufficient for many and shorter people are too often an afterthought.

2 Likes

Primarily, that’s because up until recently, crash test dummies were only modeled on the average male, not on women. Like much else, it really goes back to misogyny.

5 Likes

So only pre-airbag cars are good for putting your feet up on the dashboard. Got it!

2 Likes

Yeah, plus they were often metal or a rigid vinyl over metal, so much better to brace yourself against.

/s

1 Like

Jokes on you, I don’t get in accidents.

1 Like

Yeah, the design specs are that they are supposed to work for a 95 percentile man and a 05 percentile woman. If you’re oustide that range, you should get a seatbelt positioner, or possibly sit on a cushion. That’s what my 4’10" inch mom does to get the seatbelt to fit right and to improve her visibility.

edited to add: Keep in mind that means that cars are not designed to be safe for 1 in 20 adults. We all know people that are outside of the design range.

4 Likes

I’ve never understood how people can find cramming their legs into the space between the dash and the windshield comfy. Then again, 1) I drive small cars, 2) my legs are quite long, and 3) part of my sense of comfort in any vehicle is my sense of safety, and I learned long ago that legs-on-dash is a no-no.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.