This "wannabe entomologist" allows a venomous Huntsman spider to crawl across her face

Fascinating, creepy.
Indeed, huntsmans are widely distributed throughout Australia.
I was surprised to learn this in response to your comment. I thought they didn’t like the cooler climates in Tazzie and the likes.
And also, who knew that plural of huntsman is huntsmans. Nice one.

3 Likes

what a skinny basket case…

I don’t know about huntsman spiders, but my daughters and I love wolf/jumping spiders. We consider them good luck and they’re super fun to watch and hold. We call them our little jumpy friends.

14 Likes

5 Likes

Same! We love these little guys.

When I first started working from home (11 years ago) I used to procrastinate by watching the little jumping spiders in my office hunt small pieces of dust. You could almost see a visible disappointment/annoyance when they realized what they’d just pounced on.

5 Likes

OK all above. Huntsman spiders are big and scary but have never heard of any deaths let alone small bites or other harm they have caused to humans and their animal pets

I have arachnophobia and the buggers scare the bujeebez out of me… they scuttle about unpredictably and when they drop from the ceiling and hit the carpeted floor you can hear a thud and see their face!

On the upside, they hunt for flies and other insects that are way more harmful.

I’m now trying to give the ones that visit names so I can live with them as they mean no harm to me.

Aww squeee… this guy is hugging a humans hand:

huntsmanSpideronHand

4 Likes

:grimacing:

1 Like

Just no!

2 Likes

Hhmmm these spiders wouldn’t happen to be radioactive too? Perhapse she is trying to become “Spider Woman”

1 Like

Aww squish.

1 Like

Well, if the creatures live their lives eating shit and distributing it around your home, sure. So, flies, cockroaches, and so on, squish away. But if they eat those creatures, and reduce the amount of shit spread about, then you’re really not helping yourself or others, so stop it.

ETA: sp

4 Likes

You mean because, like Darwin did, she enjoys studying spiders?

May well have same benefits of having other pets, and not dangerous, so in the pejorative sense you likely mean, no.
ETA: The FB entomology page is well moderated by some professional entomologists and other scientists, has excellent photography, some by professionals, and is generally informative. They do terrestrial arthropods, not just insects, so lots of spiders. Several members are actually arachnophobes who are using it to desensitize themselves.

A dear friend once put a couple hundred tiny small plastic spiders in his mouth, and knocked on the door of a friend who was arachnophobic. When she came to the door, he waved but didn’t speak, coughed a few times as though he had a frog in his throat, and then gave a big cough and allowed them to emerge. She was not pleased. They had been in an ongoing prank war for years, and I remember some car related retribution that they considered fair game. If I recall, was something short of cutting his brake line, but greater than filling his car with inflated condoms immediately before a significant date, but details escape me.

2 Likes

This takes facing your fears a bit literally…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.