This "wannabe entomologist" allows a venomous Huntsman spider to crawl across her face

Originally published at: This "wannabe entomologist" allows a venomous Huntsman spider to crawl across her face | Boing Boing

1 Like

The huntsman is venomous, true, but bites to humans are very rare. As for the venom, “bee sting” gives a better mental picture than “spider bite”.

They’re big and kinda cute. Here’s one deciding it needed to cuddle or fight my daughter’s Lego shark. “Spider vs shark” is quite possibly the most Australian photo ever.

36 Likes

Surely that’s a “wannabe arachnologist”?

15 Likes

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrongity wrong.

15 Likes

from Australia

And I thought Gals were tough from Brooklyn, NYC.

And: “Spidernato” my forth coming thriller…

9 Likes

a venomous Huntsman spider

Is that a distinction that needs to be drawn?

At least, aren’t like 99% of spiders venomous?

6 Likes

NOPE!

Nope, nope, nope nope.

No freakin’ way. Even the picture gives me the heebie-jeebies.

13 Likes

oh hell no.

9 Likes

supplementing her career as Brie Larsen’s stunt double

3 Likes

Calling a huntsman “venomous” is one of those things that is technically true but still seems kinda ridiculous. They’re about as aggressive as a cauliflower.

11 Likes

I don’t know a percentage, but I know of at least this family of spiders that lack venom glands totally:

Spiders are fairly diverse so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some that have fangs / venom glands but don’t actually produce venom.

Plus how else are you supposed to look cool by knowing the difference between venomous and poisonous? Bring up Sexual-Cannibalism?

2 Likes

NO! (3)

3 Likes

I agree. They helped remove my fear of spiders.

I’ve happily shared bedrooms, sheds, and letterboxes with huntsmen which is something I wouldn’t say about any other venomous australian wildlife!

5 Likes

Glad to see you’ve arrived.

18 Likes

I know I couldn’t filter myself quick enough, I’d yell, "are You fucking nut"s, I wouldn’t even bother trying to understand that shit. I don’t like 8 legged motherfuckers.

1 Like

Possible darwin award winner?

2 Likes

I think she qualifies as an entomologist. Wannabe left the picture a long time ago.

3 Likes

A challenge to find a house in Australia that doesn’t have one.

4 Likes

“A little venomous, but probably won’t bite” may have been more accurate.

This doesn’t seem any different than people who have non-deadly scorpions or tarantulas as pets and handle them. May not be everyone’s cup of tea, but definitely not uncommon.

Obligatory:

(hint: go directly to 1:53 for the part that will really skeev out those not super arachnid friendly)

Also: Took a picture of this little guy a few days ago. Ca common scorpion with UV light.

4 Likes

Or she wants to study insects but gets stuck with spiders. If she were an arthropodologist she’d get to study both.

4 Likes