Unexpected peril of driving in Australia

Originally published at: Unexpected peril of driving in Australia | Boing Boing

5 Likes

A huntsman spider! This charming fella kept me company on my last trip pre-covid. Mostly it hung out by the side mirror, and as you drove off it would scuttle to the hatchback.

16 Likes

I hate those things. Hate them. I know they’re harmless and eat bad bugs like cockroaches, but they’re huge and creepy and fast and always where you don’t expect them. Plus they have babies in your house.

8 Likes

This is why you need automatic car washes with kerosene in place of water

5 Likes

Running Away Honey Badger GIF

15 Likes

When you hope to crash and burn really quickly.

I had an accident and I’m not even driving a car.

25 Likes

It genuinely took me a few moments to realise spidey was on the camera lens (and was relatively small) and not on the windscreen and the size of a small dog!

6 Likes

Damn near everything in Australia wants to kill kill you one way or another…

8 Likes

Are they the ones that like hiding behind the flip down sun shields? Driving along, bit bright outside, drop the shade - something like a face hugger drops into your lap…

5 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes

Moments Father GIF

7 Likes

I was waiting for that. I knew someone would. :wink:

1 Like

Fuck. That’s horrifying. Stop horrorizing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have an agreement with the local spiders. They’re welcome to set up shop outside the house, do their spider thing, and nom all the other bugs. BUT…come into the house and I’ma gonna kill them good and quick.

6 Likes

they will grow to the size of a small dog if you let them :slight_smile:

I’m amazed at how quickly I have got used to them since moving to Australia, I have no problem now with seeing them in the house if I know where they are; when they pop up unexpectedly, that’s when it gets scary.
So far I haven’t have the experience of waking up with one on my face.

7 Likes

That’s what you think. You’ll only know the awful truth when another one bursts out of your chest.

4 Likes

Which now seems to include the government, from what I’ve been reading from the other side of the planet.

4 Likes

It’s a huntsman spider - seriously, it will not harm you and mostly wants to hide. I had one on the outside of my motorbike helmet when riding home in the dark, and while it’s not too much fun, I could safely get home and release it into the wild, which is where it wants to be anyway.

5 Likes