This Zazoo Condom Commercial is a Form of Birth Control in and of Itself

That’s the Spanish word for ‘pregnant’… ?!?!?

7 Likes

It’s the commonly used word (in Tijuana, at least).

6 Likes

It’s “embarazada” in the whole Spanish speaking world: Embarazada - Wikipedia. So I guess also in Tijuana.

6 Likes

8 Likes

It’s often ‘incinta’ in Italy, cintura is belt, so means you can’t wear a belt…

4 Likes

That Sucks The Office GIF

6 Likes

The wife and I have been together since we were 17, got pregnant and married at 20. We had zero examples or other people our age to give us advice, we had to figure out how to raise her on our own.

When she 4 we were at a family Christmas Eve party, for some reason she threw the mother of all tantrums, we tried talking and time out but nothing worked, finally we told her if you don’t stop Christmas is over and we’re going home.

We packed up and went home, we got grief from family members that we were spoiling her Christmas. We followed through. It was the last tantrum she threw.

What we learned is unless you’re willing to follow through with consequences all the talking means nothing and kids are smart enough to figure that out at an early age.

She’s 36, happily married, they both have great careers but they are in no hurry to have kids. We are disappointed that we may not have grandkids but we can always get more cats. I’d rather they didn’t have kids if they don’t think it’s right for them.

We have family and friends that every time they see them they give them the third degree about kids. They firmly believe that in order to be fulfilled as a woman and a marriage you have to have kids. Our daughter can handle that situation but I’ve actually told a couple of them to knock it off, you don’t need kids to be happy.

11 Likes

No Thank You Ugh GIF

We’re in 2021 folks! Join us, won’t you?

11 Likes

The ‘possible consequences’ include everything you and I can imagine, and then some more. This kid may never have thrown a tantrum before, but he’s doing it now, and he knows how. It’s in all of them.

1 Like

Married 20 years now - people always ask us how many kids we have and don’t know how to respond when the the reply is a gleeful “None!” They want to offer condolences for what must be my tragically barren wife and our sad, empty home and we just laugh and laugh. It is very confusing for them.

8 Likes

Oh, Christ. Some ppl are such assholes.

So many older women, appropos of nothing, perfect strangers, asked 20-something me how many children I had. When I told them none, they’d freak. Only one had a good response. She kinda grunted as she turned it over in her mind, then said, “Well, you’re a lot smarter than I am!”

Many demanded, “Why?!” I usually told them I’d never met anything worth breeding with, which made many of them look almost like they were thinking, and then worried. Sometimes I told them “I can’t afford them,” which no one ever dared argue about. Sometimes I told them it was none of their business, which shocked them. Guess I was the first. Some actually gave me orders! “You have to have children!” so I’d ask, “Why?” Their mouths generally shut like traps.

Had things been different, had I met something worth breeding with who wanted kids, and we could afford them, I may have bred. tophat-shrug

It’s something I will never miss re: being a young woman. I was so relieved and grateful when nosy women no longer inquired about my fucktrophy collection. tophat-biggrin tophat-rofl

8 Likes

I’m all for you making the choice not to have a kid. I think that so many women have the opportunity to pursue other goals in life without having children shows some progress, even if some people are dicks about it.

But I do wish you wouldn’t words (breed) that made those of us with kids feel like we’ve given up all other aspects of our lives and that we’re just cows or something. We’re not. We’re just as much full fledged human beings as everyone else, even if we’ve made the choice to have kids. I feel like I’m more than just that, though.

6 Likes

Having seen many scenes like that my usual response has been “That would have the Pope handing out condoms.”

2 Likes

My mom used to say that having me and my brothers stay with newlywed couples would be a great way to get them to use birth control.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised to see it here. I’ve been laughing at this one for a long time although I wouldn’t have been able to guess the date.

Pretty good, except for the slapping.

1 Like

Every parent has a moment or several when they do truly wish their children gone. It’s part of the reality of parenting that gets largely glossed over or ignored these days. You might well be willing to die to save them, but your kids are, at some point, going to hit that last button and you are going to lose it. Most of the time that does no long term damage-you pick the kid up and leave the store, instead of kicking them until they stop crying.
And for the child free, partners and pets can and will have the same effect at some point. The dirty socks on the floor, the new shoes chewed or pooped in, the special knickknacks broken-there will be fights and yelling and slamming of doors.
If the commercial wasn’t for a condom company, that clip could be used to ask people “how do you respond to this?” I bet the responses would be interesting.

1 Like

Unrealistic. Sure, lots of kids would throw a tantrum over a denied bag of candy. But that was clearly a bag of Pirate’s Booty. No kid in a grocery store is going to choose the nuclear option for a bag of supposedly edible styrofoam packing peanuts.

1 Like

Oh, man, me too! It was so annoying getting asked that by relative strangers and trying to think up some “acceptable” answer. If I said, “I just never wanted that in my life,” they would be kind of appalled or disgusted. But later I thought of how insensitive that question is - what if I dearly wanted children and had tried everything and it never worked for me? How painful to bring that up apropos of nothing?
And the other thing - when (if) you say it’s not in your plans, so many people will say, “Oh, you’ll change your mind,” like they know you better than you know yourself.
Shaking my head. I’d trade in the tender knees, but overall growing older is a net positive!

Surely! I don’t know if you have seen it, but those of us w/o children get treated like we aren’t fully fledged women (specifically) a lot of times. I would never want to treat someone else like that. It feels shitty.

5 Likes

I do know that. It pisses me off, something fierce. I’m just pointing out that women who do have kids are also subjected to the same kind of scrutiny. I get treated like I’m anti-feminist because I did have a kid… I’ve ruined my career, among other things, and made it harder for other women looking to work in academia by having a kid. Me and other women have been told such things over and over again.

My point is that I’d really love it if we could not treat EITHER choice as “right” or “wrong” because they are not. ALL women should get support for whatever they do with their lives, but the reality is that NONE of us do, because none of us are “doing it right.” I just object to language being used that fundamentally dehumanizes my choices, is all. I don’t think people do it on purpose, but you know, it’s hurtful coming from other women when I’m dismissed for “breeding.” I don’t think anyone here is doing that intentionally, but it does hurt.

8 Likes