Those weird sonic attacks at U.S. embassies? Microwave weapons, experts say

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/01/weird-sonic-attacks.html

2 Likes

Time to get that tinfoil hat out of storage.

17 Likes

And you all laughed at me.

40 Likes

Fine. Put microwave detectors in the embassies. If fact, after shenanigans the Soviets tried back in the day, I’m surprised that they aren’t standard.

12 Likes

I am surprised that they don’t have Faraday-caged them already. Perhaps the issue is with the private residences.

ETA: sp

11 Likes

Without some kind of wave-detecting superstructure, this looks like Hershey’s Kiss cosplay.

Is this a base kit McPhee is selling, then, where buyers would be expected to homebrew their own super-spy attachments?

4 Likes

Portable detectors then. Pi-equiv or tablet tech, Software Defined Radio, a USB dongle receiver with a wide microwave coverage, a Fourier transform display to show what’s happening across the band. Look for spikes.

5 Likes

Sounds more like the Fry effect. :fried_egg:

9 Likes

It is worth mentioning, a short range directed microwave weapon is something you could knock together in your garage for a hundred bucks.

Old microwave off CL wired up to a 2.4ghz parabolic antenna commonly used for wifi.

17 Likes

Wouldn’t this cause a tinfoil hat to spark and ignite?

11 Likes

I believe it’s referred to as a HERF Cannon.

6 Likes

I wonder if this is related to the odd phenomenon of occasionally hearing meteors as they pass overhead…

4 Likes

Well, we’ve been developing these kinds of weapons for years now. It only makes practical sense that our enemies would also be making them. War is fun, stealth war is like a video game. /S

2 Likes

Tin foil hats aren’t effective.

You need something more faraday cage like:

14 Likes

Dammit! This is how I always pictured these attacks.

9 Likes

Never attribute to malice what you can to stupidity.

I read somewhere (sorry I don’t have the link) that it’s common to try to “fill” rooms with various frequencies as part of eavesdropping. I think it’s more likely this is some sort of attempt at eavesdropping that’s a little riskier than normal, and occasionally results in damage.

8 Likes

Sometimes, 40 or more feet away from my microwave I get this intense burning sensation in my head, mouth and throat. It leaves me unable to taste much of anything for days afterwards. It usually happens a few minutes after I hear a whirring noise followed by a repeating high frequency sound.

I knew there was something wrong with my microwave.

Well, I’ll have to get it looked into. For now, I’m going to eat this off-brand Hotpocket I just heated up while I watch In Search Of listen to Coast To Coast AM and try to find the secret code in InfoWars .

9 Likes

This is my default position, too. I don’t want to eliminate the possibility of a deliberate act, but just consider all the other sources of microwave radiation at or near those frequencies. Could easily be our own stuff that’s ill-maintained or otherwise malfunctioning.

2 Likes

On the serious side:

If true this is terrible, and could quite likely be true. It will be Interesting if the truth ever comes out.

If a weapon like this exists, imagine how and on what kind of people it was “tested”/first used on?

Members of Jason, a secretive group of elite scientists that helps the federal government assess new threats to national security

What the fuck is Jason ? And do they have capes and/or superpowers ?

8 Likes