Threads users bouncing after finding their feeds infested with brands, random celebs

The only reason I still have a FB account is the hoops you have to jump through to delete the thing. Threads can’t launch in the EU due to all the illegal data scraping and tracking yet here in Brexit Britain they’re all jumping aboard.

Insert image of Fry from Futurama screaming, “Shut up and take my data!”

6 Likes

Shitposters on mastodon are thriving, not sure why the ‘hmmmm’ there

4 Likes

At the moment it seems like the feed is updates from people you follow, then random stuff. Might tabs been an error to show people that combination when the first part of that is null.

1 Like

Kissing celebrity ass IS Instagram’s business model lol

5 Likes

Don’t hold your breath; I could never, ever have it stick as the default option when I had a facebook account, and even then I had to manually filter out a ton of garbage because it didn’t actually show things in chronological order, seeing things that some of my friends posted days ago before the thing I was actually looking for that they had posted 2 minutes previous.

“Show me what my friends have posted, most recent first” is not a hard concept to implement; Tumblr does it; my dreamwidth blog does it (along with every livejournal clone EVER) and it’s easily enough to set and have it stick if it’s not the default setting to begin with.

5 Likes

I got an easy fix for that: go in and change your birthdate to something under 5 years previous, and ignore all attempts it tries to make you verify your identity, and let the automation system think you are too young to be there, and let it nuke your account for you. at least that’s how I ended up quitting. :smiley:

5 Likes

has FB made it more difficult to totally delete your account in recent years?
i ditched the zuckshow about 5 years ago and while settings were cleverly hidden, it was relatively simple to ask to be deleted. they put the account on a 30 day hold (in case i suddenly relapsed into the junk-stream hash and wanted back in - as if!). after that hold, i was gone!
haven’t looked back.
Twitter: not as simple. i let that account go into deep dormancy years before the FB.
Insta is not an issue, so i doubt Threads will ever be, for me at least.

5 Likes

When I deleted one several years ago, it was only a three day countdown. I’d love to see a graph of how obsessive they’ve gotten over the years. (The main hurdle was switching the account language from Arabic to English. Long story.)

4 Likes

Instagram has this feature that essentially does it. If you click “show older posts” you see all just people you follow instead of random tiktok style videos.

2 Likes

Yup.

4 Likes

It’s trivial, and the fact that no social media ever gives you this (which is of course what everyone wants) tells us all we need to know about social media– they are not on our side. We are the product, not the customer.

13 Likes

post breaking GIF

ETA: Guess i should clarify. I am of the understanding they don’t delete anything, they just tell you they do but they most likely store it indefinitely. They also collect troves of data on non-fb users of course, but shadow profiles are common knowledge by now.

5 Likes

Oh I am sure they do keep it. If you actually go through the entire two month-long process of holds and paperwork to delete your account, Facebook claims they delete it. I don’t believe that for a second. I guarantee they still store all the metadata about you that they don’t consider “your data” which is the stuff people actually care about. Location info, personal info, etc… Maybe they really do delete your lunch photos from 2012, but I guarantee they don’t delete the other stuff because it’s their entire business model to have that data on everyone.

9 Likes

Today’s update: the most complained about problems/asked for features are supposedly being worked on:

(Just noticed he could use an edit button himself- he spelled prioritize wrong. Ha)

4 Likes

I don’t believe anything FB says about anything because they have a history of fucking lying about everything. Agreed about the metadata, that has always been far more valuable to tech companies and state actors than actual content.

6 Likes

For sure they won’t delete everything. At most, they’ll convert your account into a “shadow profile”

4 Likes

I’m sure there’s an excellent reason why one would launch a product with “obvious missing features”.

Please no one explain it to me.

3 Likes

They obviously rushed this because of musk’s mistakes creating an opportunity for them. And I’m sure seeing a lot of random people in the beginning is helping promote engagement with people outside your Instagram friend circle.
I know you just said don’t explain it. Just saying I don’t think it’s a mystery. If you see it another way I’d honestly like to hear your opinion.

3 Likes

As an in-house web dev at a non-technical org, I’ve also seen how much leeway responsiveness gets me. I release things kinda fast and loose, because it’s all internal stuff and I know the users (our staff) and can reach right into the database to fix things. When they ask for features and fixes after the fact, people genuinely feel seen, heard and responded to. Contrast that with our contracted work that comes with obsessive specs, slow dev time and polished product, but also an alienating, expensive and bureaucratic process for bug fixes and changes

I don’t know if that is a part of the calculus here, but having a real dev team member from FB say “wow, the response is overwhelming, and we know we released an incomplete product and we’re busting our butts to get you these features we know you want” is almost more endearing than if they’d releases something closer to perfect. Particularly for an organization that feels alternately like a shiny faceless behemoth, or an obsessive solo project of Zuckerberg.

4 Likes

I suppose my question is “What’s the rush?”.

It’s not like Musk is going to stop trashing Twitter any time soon. So far as I can see none of the other options are gaining any traction or seem likely to anytime soon.

If you’ve got a competing product which is almost ready apart from a few “obvious missing features” which you apparently believe you can implement quite soon, why not implement them and then launch?

That I can understand but this strikes me more like releasing a new car without power steering or electric window controls and then telling people that you know they want power steering and you’re working on it.

Actually Musk has essentially already done that, hasn’t he?

1 Like